Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers that can survive heat/direct sunlight

Posted by farmhouse (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 11:27

Hello all,
My mom has a beautiful three tier fountain on her patio that she couldn't bare to part with when moving from her home into an apartment. The problem is that the patios in her complex are open and she fears the water flow will attract kids to play on the patio and around the fountain. I suggested that it would brighten up the patio (and hopefully not attract the kids) if she planted flowers in it. She gladly approved and gave me the task of planting the flowers for her. The fountain is about 5 feet high with an angel above the top tier. I thought some sort of flowing flowers to replicate water flow would be nice. Anyone have any idea of what types of flowers I can use. The fountain is in direct sunlight and we are in Sacramento, CA so it will get HOT! I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers that can survive heat/direct sunlight

I'm not in your zone, but this is a lovely idea. Some plants that come to mind for a fountain look are lavender and ornamental grasses in the lower tier. Lavender with a long wand, such as Provence or Hidcote might be nice. Lavender loves to be dry and well-drained, full sun. It attracts honey bees and butterflies. The flowers can be used for home products, crafts, etc. It smells wonderful. Lavender is probably perennial in your area. Most varieties are for me and they are evergreen for me.

In the 2nd tier, you'll probably want a cascading plant. I can't make a recommendation for your zone, but this may be a good place for annuals for constant color or reliable perennials with long-bloom seasons. Homestead Verbena is purple, perennial heliotrope is a lavender/blue; lantana can be had in a variety of colors; wave petunias or million bells; just some thoughts.

You may also want to ask on the Container Gardening Forum (I think there is one?)

Cameron (in North Carolina)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here