Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daylilies and Deer

Posted by etxtomato 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 11:50

I cannot find any information to tell me if deer eat daylillies or not.....need to plant something that will take full sun and not be on the buck buffet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daylilies and Deer

Yes, daylilies are in the top of deer preferences (others include tulips, yews, hostas). Perennials for hot sunny areas that deer will shun include Nepetas (catmints--NOT catnip), Agastaches, Irises of all types, Gaillardias, Coreopsis of all types, Pardancandas, Peonies, Euphorbias, Perovskia, Achilleas, ornamental grasses. This is not an exclusive list. I am in zone 5/6, so I'm sure there are others in your zone.

o

The deer come through and chomp off the flowers right before they are going to bloom. Save yourself a lot of anger at never getting to see your beautiful flowers - try the above. I know for sure deer leave Peonies, ornamental grasses, Coreopsis, and Iris alone.

o

Daylilies are deer candy! (as are the Aurelian and Asiatic hybrid lilies).
You can also try hellebores, prairie sage, poppy, lamb's ear (basically fuzzy or fragrant plants(the leaves are fragrant)) work well.

Sadly, the deer here in NY will peonies and siberian iris if the season is very dry.

o

The herbs I've had luck with are anise hyssop (reseeds very readily), pennyroyal, lavender, yarrow, lemon balm and oregano (both can get invasive) to name a few.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here