Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast Privacy Screen suggestions

Posted by evergreen_fan Zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 12:24

Hi All,

I'm looking to block about 120' of road. The requirements:

1) I'd like it to be an evergreen screen, and reach all the way to the ground.
2) I'd like it to grow as fast as possible.
3) I'd like it to be deer resistant. They are a big problem here.
4) I'm not too concerned with height. The taller the better, as far as I'm concerned. But I want them to reach 10-12 feet as quickly as possible.

5) I'd also like the screen to be as thick as possible.

I have narrowed it to a couple of choices based on my research.

Thuja Steeplechase
Thuja Green Giant

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Also, does anyone have any other suggestions? Since I can't find either of these at any local nurseries, I'll be going on-line to order them.

Since I need to cover so much space, this will be rather expensive if I buy plants that are larger than 2 feet tall, so if there are any other lower cost alternatives, I'd love to hear them.

I've looked into Leyland Cypress and Emerald Green Arborvitae, however these seem to get eaten by the deer regularly. I want to have a nice evergreen screen that the deer will leave alone. The advantage is, I can find these locally, but I'd rather order from an on-line source if deer leave either thuja I've picked out alone.

Thanks for your time and suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast Privacy Screen suggestions

I think that deer may be a problem with your thuja choice. Especially since they will be small when planted. Podocarpus macrophyllus or perhaps oleander may suit the bill. Check for their performance in your zone. Also hollies are not too badly damaged by deer.

I would stagger the trees to provide some natural look unless you want a hedge. Also, plant at least an extra 10% to replace fatalities.

o
RE: Fast Privacy Screen suggestions

Thanks for the follow-up, stevega.

I heard that deer stay away from the green giants. And I was planning on buying them 2-3 ft tall to start (I agree the smaller ones would be ripped out of the ground, even if the deer didn't like the taste.)

I've never heard of the two suggestions you made. I'll take a look at them on-line.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here