Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Systemic deer repellent experiences?

Posted by squonk61 upstate NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 12:29

OK, so I just got off the phone with Amar, the inventor years ago of the systemic deer tablets you let soak up into a plants roots. His partnership 'dissolved' and the other guy started Repellex, which can't use the original formula so instead uses capsacian or hot pepper. Amar is still selling the original formula under the name Natura Products. A few web postings report the original formula is superior to the new product. I am starting a side by side test, but was wondering if anyone has used either product and what their results were?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Systemic deer repellent experiences?

I'm not sure about the product mentioned above but I used Liquid Fence this year. We live in an area over run by dear. At one point I counted 18 in my yard at one time (I live on less than an acre!!!). I have had huge problems with deer eating everything. This year I planted 171 shrubs, 13 small trees, 60+ clematis and too many perennials to count. I used liquid fence this year and NOTHING has been eaten. Hostas, rhododendrons, 59 hydrangeas, roses. Nothing.
At one point I found a deer right next to my rhododendrons and the deer was eating weeds!! The ONLY plant that got eaten this year was a Limelight Hydrangea that I planted and forgot to spray. All my neighbors have had their yards devoured.
I spray heavy at 1st, I saturate the plants but I only do it once a month. It even lasts through rain.
I know that I will need to switch up the products as the deer get used to it but for now I am vey happy. Also, deer hunting season started this past weekend and the bow hunter using my yard has already taken 3 :)
Finally, whenever I read glowing reviews about a product I get suspicious that the person is a paid reviewer from the company. I can honestly say that I have no relation with this company. I am a pretty frequent poster here at Garden Web.

o

We have used Liquid Fence for years on the farm and it still works incredibly well. The deer cannot tolerate the smell, which thank goodness disappears in 48 hours for us humans. We have gardens and trees/shrubs and make sure we apply every 3 weeks. Expensive but effective.

o

I'm a Liquid fence girl too.It is expensive but worth it's weight. Don't buy the "ready to use".In my opinion, it's not mixed strong enough. Buy the concentrate.It lasts awhile & you can mix it a hair stronger, if you need to, but I find you don't. It's all natural & doesn't wash off in the rain. I to have never used the product you mentioned, but have heard of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here