Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do deer eat Hollies?

Posted by Yard_Mom 6,MD (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 04 at 16:41

I'm thinking about planting hollies on the edge of our woods for both an evergreen block, and to sort of block the deer from wandering into my garden. Does anyone know if deer eat hollies? I have one that they never touch but it could be the variety. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do deer eat Hollies?

Yes, they do at my house.

o

Mine too.

o

They do not seem to eat American Holly (Ilex opaca). Those are the ones with very thorny leaves. They do eat the various Blue hollies.

o

Mine was the very prickly kind. Eaten, but not until the depths of winter.

o

they eat all ours here in CT until they get too tall for them to reach,,

,, they have never eaten the small leafed varieties

o

Do deer eat Dragon Lady? That is a very thorny variety but perhaps thats irrelevant when you have a leather mouth.........

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here