Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need tall flowering plant for partly shaded spot in USDA zone 8

Posted by westover Portland OR (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 17:03

I am fond of a clump of echinacea that chose to live on the south edge of my garden. It hasn't expanded in years, it just springs up in the same place year after year, and reaches 5-6 feet high. But what can I plant immediately north of it? The annuals I've tried there just sulk in the shade of the echinacea, except for cosmos, and even the tallest cosmos are too short to be seen above the echinacea. So it has to be something that will flower even higher than the echincea, and it has to tolerate the shade from the echinacea, at least for its first 5 feet or so. Tall sunflowers get floppy and don't do well there, perhaps because it's only morning sun shaded by the house in the afternoon. I would appreciate your suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need tall flowering plant for partly shaded spot in USDA zone

Nandina domestica? The flowers aren't brilliant but the foliage can be. (I'm thinking of the tall variety, not the low shrubby ones.)

One of the elegant grasses, perhaps? As a foil for the Echinacea.

Ribes odoratum or sanguinea?

Penstemon?

o
RE: Need tall flowering plant for partly shaded spot in USDA zone

I like the sound of the tall grass combo. What about Joe Pye weed?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here