Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cadillactaste

Red Majestic and Rose Mallow near Black Walnut?

cadillactaste
11 years ago

After several years of unsuccessful attempts at growing a raised flower bed in the shade...I had a nursery last year ask me,"What tree are you planting under or near." then the lady gave me a list from Ohio State explaining what can and hasn't worked near Black Walnut trees.

Thing is...I am curious about these two listed in my post title. Which are the Red Majestic and the Rose Mallow. Neither are listed in either group that was given to me.

Was curious...I realize both are to be placed in the sun so they will be further from the black walnut. But within the 50 foot drip line. In my minds eye...with the Rose Mallow being a hibiscus as is the Rose of Sharon which does do well near or under a Black Walnut. I am thinking maybe I might have success with it someplace in my yard... But would rather see if any others have had success and if so how far from the trunk of the BW was it planted? I've spent so much $$$ to only lose the plants in the past. That I would rather not play a guessing game of roulette with hit and miss guessing on my part.

The Red MaJestic if planted I want to get a mature plant...so before taking on the expense...I wanted to see other's success in doing what I would want to do. So also if anyone has had success within the 50 foot drip line if they could also share how close to the tree roughly it was planted I would appreciate it.

Comments (4)

Sponsored