Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Majestic and Rose Mallow near Black Walnut?

Posted by cadillactaste none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 9:07

After several years of unsuccessful attempts at growing a raised flower bed in the shade...I had a nursery last year ask me,"What tree are you planting under or near." then the lady gave me a list from Ohio State explaining what can and hasn't worked near Black Walnut trees.

Thing is...I am curious about these two listed in my post title. Which are the Red Majestic and the Rose Mallow. Neither are listed in either group that was given to me.

Was curious...I realize both are to be placed in the sun so they will be further from the black walnut. But within the 50 foot drip line. In my minds eye...with the Rose Mallow being a hibiscus as is the Rose of Sharon which does do well near or under a Black Walnut. I am thinking maybe I might have success with it someplace in my yard... But would rather see if any others have had success and if so how far from the trunk of the BW was it planted? I've spent so much $$$ to only lose the plants in the past. That I would rather not play a guessing game of roulette with hit and miss guessing on my part.

The Red MaJestic if planted I want to get a mature plant...so before taking on the expense...I wanted to see other's success in doing what I would want to do. So also if anyone has had success within the 50 foot drip line if they could also share how close to the tree roughly it was planted I would appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Majestic and Rose Mallow near Black Walnut?

The Red Majestic ones may not know it by that name...it is also known as Corylus avellana Contorta 'Red Majestic. Figured that may help...

The Rose Mallow is a Hibiscus...curious since the Rose of Sharon can be near a black walnut and is also a Hibiscus if it too would do well near a black walnut. Not under because it needs sun...But well with in that 50 foot drip line zone.

o

Both the corylus and the hibiscus are juglone tolerant. You should have no issues with them in proximity to a black walnut.

o

Thank you so so so soooooo much! Neither were on the Ohio State list of things you can or can't plant within 50 foot of a black walnut's drip line.

I sadly killed my sand cherry. It never bloomed near the walnut so we moved it. Not sure if we took enough root ball...or the fact we put rocks up to the trunk of it...but it's pretty much dead. I pruned it hard...because I was told by two people to do so... I was told to do a scratch test and nothing green was found. I did find red under the bark but no green. So that twisted shrub will go nicely in it's place! And the rose mallow I'm another spot I had wished I could plant one.

Made my night! Thanks again!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here