Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
swimming pool

Posted by mollyjanea RI z5-7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 03 at 9:53

Hi folks, Have just had UFO land in my backyard, and boy, is it UGLY! Actually it's a new bright blue and white swimming pool, plopped right behind my cottage-y gardens with meadow behind it. Love the pool, hate the look. Working on garden all around it for some screening, as well as beauty. Have lots of ideas but looking for more! It's 48" tall, 24 ' across, and will be used by young adults/adults and guests with kids. Fun, fun, fun but ugly,ugly, ugly! Thanks! Happy summer! Molly in RI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: swimming pool

I have a few small evergrren shrubs around my pool. I plant taller growing annuals in a 3ft bed surroundind the pool to help disguise it, but they are not cottage garden flowers. I have different varieties of daturas, gladioli, and dahlias. It looks tropical and hides the ugly white metal pool sides quite well.

o

the main thing to avoid is plants that will shed leaves, seeds, spent blossoms, etsc. into your pool and plants that will attract bees and wasps to its area.

o

I have read that Firmiana simplex- Chinese Parasol Tree will give a pool area a tropical look. If a tropical look is desired I would plant a half dozen Magnolia macrophylla-Bigleaf Magnolia. The leaves are almost 3' long and 1' across. Also has large, fragrant,white flowers in time. Lends a large banana plantation look to an area. Cover the pool when abscission occurs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here