Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flowers for windy spots

Posted by rross NSW Aust (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 03 at 10:11

I live in a flat on the third floor of my building. I have a large, sunny balcony that unfortunately is very windy in Summer. I don't know how to code Sydney zone-wise, but according to the garden publications here, it's temperate.
Would anyone be able to recommend container-grown flowers that keep their petals on in the wind? So far I've had success with Portulaca, Asters and Marigolds, but I'd like to try something new. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flowers for windy spots

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 25, 03 at 23:15

You should be able to grow most of these, particularly in larger pots:

Pentas, dahlias, cape plumbago, iris, mallows, ageratum, chrysanthemum, osteospermums, lysimachia, salvia, scaevola, lantana, alyssum, scabiosa, verbena, anagallis, astroemeria, bacopa, callas, clivia, cannas (big pots), convolvulus, daylilies, erysimum, euryops, lamium, gazania, dianthus, geraniums, pelargoniums, hellebores, heuchera, impatiens, lavendar, lotus bertholotii, snapdragons, mimulus, nierembergia, bluett (centaurea montana), pieris, ranunculus, dwarf rudbeckia, common garden sage (it has lovely spikes of purple flowers and will rebloom if you deadhead it), gazanias, tulips (but they'll need chilling if you want them to come back).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here