Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windy seaside garden

Posted by MauraO SE Alaska (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 05 at 11:13

My husband and I are building a new house, and starting from scratch with building soil where salmonberries used to cover a bank down to the water. I put a red laceleaf Japanese maple at the top of the bank, and planted astilbe and hosta below it, but the hostas look like they're drying out from too much wind.

Any suggestions on what would stay fairly low growing (under 2 ft.) tolerate wind, water, winter temps fluctuating from mid teens to mid forties, lots of rain?

Thanks for your input.

Maura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windy seaside garden

You not only have a wind issue, but a SALT issue. There are few more hostile environments for plants than an ocean front site. You are really looking for a ground cover at that size. There are many low growing junipers that would do very well for you in this location.

o

ALASKA only has low temps in the teens??? What zone are you in? How much sunlight? I agree with lol that salt may be your major issue, and one that makes your choices much narrower. Salt kills a lot of plants, so start your search from there.

In general, plants with smaller leaves are more drought tolerant as they lose less moisture from wind etc. Same goes for "gray" colored plants such as Lavender & Russian Sage. Good luck & best wishes, more info may help get you better answers. Doupt many of us garden in Alaska!

o

Here's a website that covers our maritime climate.
http://www.uas.alaska.edu/future_students/southeast_alaska/climate.html

We're similar to the Seattle area, but we get much more rain and slightly cooler temperatures year round.

I figure a plant for zone 6 will survive here if it can tolerate repeat freeze/thaw cycles and wet roots.

Because of the heavy rainfall, I don't think salt build-up is an issue here. At the end of our season we routinely pile 6" of seaweed on the gardens without rinsing it, and it gets well flushed by fall rains. That's my plan for soil building this fall.

I have SW exposure on this bank, but rhododendrons do well here in full sun because we don't get enough heat to damage them.

So, I'm thinking about some of the smaller leaved rhodies for the upper section of the bank, and prostrate cotoneaster where it's steep to help hold the soil. I's also like to use some non-invasive grasses, and I love the idea of using herbs!

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'm open to more.

o

Wow! Did I say 6 feet of seaweed? I meant 6 inches.

o

MauraO -
Hello, I live about 100 steps from the Atlantic ocean, south of Boston, MA in Zone 6a.
Here's a list of plants that I would consider hardy for you. Also you might want to think of most glaucous plants being adaptable to a cold, seaside environment.
They are:
Potentilla sp.
Ceratostigma plumbagnoides
Dwarf Sorbus
Spiraea jap. 'Gold Mound'
French Tarragon - does very well for us, and stands of it look very "grassy" when kept divided.
Best,
PP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here