Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is eating my plants and how do i stop it?

Posted by terriebari 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 14:31

Hi all
Not sure if anyone can determine this for me,but I am having an issue with SOMe plants being eaten. We do have deer, but i am not convinced it is them. i ahve seen no deer droppings near the plants, and many plants are NOT being eaten that I think deer would like (my cone flowers look GREAT, for example, and my day lillies and hosta are all fine).

i've lost 4 tall flox, including two that are in an exposed area- no place to hide!3 hollyhocks, yet two others are untouched. One of the hollyhock was in full bloom, and they ate it flowers and all.

any suggestions on what I might try, to deter whatever it is. I do NOT want to hurt any animals, if I can help it, and we have pets that hang out in our garden, too (they dont' eat plants, though)
thanks!
terrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is eating my plants and how do i stop it?

Even though the attack is spotty, it's probably deer. Nothing else would eat a whole perennial like that (rabbits are too short). BTW, cuts from rabbit teeth are sharp and clean as if they were made with pruners. Deer cuts tend to be ragged since they pull and don't cut clean.

I suggest spraying with a good repellent--Deer Off, Liquid Fence, Plantskydd, and try to concentrate on plants deer don't like. Strongly aromatic plants are not only unappealing, but also have some repellent value as the scent jams deer's predator defensese, their sense of smell. Such plants include Agastaches, Perovskia, Nepetas, Calaminthas, Geranium maccrorhizum as well as 'Bikovo', 'Karmina' et. al (but not other Geraniums).

Growing plants that they really like, like Phlox, is asking for trouble. Now that they're in the restaurant, it's only a matter of time before someone tries the other items on the buffet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here