Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer + Phlocks

Posted by redphoenix 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 03 at 14:33

We have some deer that have been attacking our phlocks and eating their flowers. Apparently after they've been destroyed they won't regrow the flowers, is there anyway to fix this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer + Phlocks

No--Deer love Phlox paniculata. I don't grow them for that very reason. You might try spraying them with a good deer repellent in future years.

o

I have been told just the opposite for my area - phlox paniculata are avoided by the deer here.
Hmmmmm - I have come to learn that you have to learn the habits and tastes of deer in your particular neighborhood. Most often the hard way it seems!

o

If the phlox blooms were eaten by the deer and not the main plant, the flowers will return. Three houses down from our property, another gardener has a serious deer problem. In one night, they meticulously ate all her soon to bloom phloxes. They have since grown new flower heads and should be blooming in the next week.
Mine do not get eaten by the deer (knock on wood) but then I have a bulldog which is welcome to leave his scent in the gardens on a daily basis!
Nicole.

o

See "great deer spray product" in this forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here