Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bearstate

Allelopathy in Crepe Myrtle

bearstate
16 years ago

A friend had brought it to my attention recently that nothing will grow under Eucalyptis. I don't believe that 'NOTHING' will grow there, but the conversation did cause me to research why that could be and so, learned about allelopthy for the first time.

But more interesting, I learned that Eucalyptus are in the Myrtle family and further still, Crepe Myrtles are noted in plant databases as being allelopathic.

I have lots of Crepe Myrtles growing here and about. Lots.

I am very curious to know to what degree Crepe Myrtle are hazardous to other plants. And I'd like to know more about other allelopathic plants. Lantana? I just planted trailing Lantanas for ground cover. Bad move on my part? I'd like to know more about whether I have plants that are such that they prevent germination only, prevent plant growth and development or both.

I'd like to know what can be planted with what and not experience any losses. I'm sure most folks just plant and plant and when something dies, they just say ... shucks, needed to remulch or add more water ... or it got too much or too little sun or temperature and so on. Or they ask, why are those leaves turning yellow and curling over and go about mystified.

And now I learn about allelopathy as a new variable.

What to do?

Comments (3)