Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiaki0730

Anyone tried this fence method for deer proof?

chiaki0730
15 years ago

Hi,

My in-laws asked me to re-landscape their yard last weekend. They live in the very nice water front property, but they have deer problems.

Since I would like to re-build vegetable garden for my mother-in-law, I've been looking for solutions for deer-resistant, but not too tall fence option (not to disturb their view). I'll also try to plant vegetables deer don't like, too.

I came across the following site. It looks like a simple, but effective solution. Have anyone tried this??

{{gwi:656942}}

I might tweak this idea a bit for nicer looking & more easy-open/close result, but I LOVE to hear if this works before I start the project.

Thanks!!

-b

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

I've not used it, but I like it. If you spray paint the fencing black (not green), it will 'disappear' into the landscaping and not be as noticable. Black is a non-color and is truly best for disguising things like that.

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

It would work fine for lettuces and other veggies that don't grow very tall, but I have tomato plants that are 6' tall, corn that is 8' tall, and okra that is 4' tall. Don't see how this would work for those.

• chiaki0730
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rhizo - What a great idea to paint the fence in black color! I was also thinking about using copper pipe to make like a green house frame in dome shape, then cover w/black bird/deer-net...

Spazzycat - what kind of deer-proof method do you use for your tomatoes? My mother-in-law actually has a couple of artichoke which is 4' tall, deer seems not bother them.

Maybe I can plant them all around the tomato bed to somehow discourage deer???

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

We have 7' deer netting around the veggie garden supported by metal stakes. It's left in place all year round. It seems to work around this smaller area. We also have a deer fence around our 3.5 acres, but the deer keep on busting through it, so it's not always a trustworthy method of protecting plants.

One year for a fall garden, we tried using row cover material supported by PVC hoops in a similar way to the wire covering you show because all we had to protect was lettuce and collards. Wouldn't you know that the deer actually pawed through (hoofed through) the row cover to get to the lettuce.

Me and the deer are going to have a throwdown soon.

• handy60
    15 years ago

I use two strands of electric fence with lots of flagging tape tied on. I also spray around the garden with a repellent called "Liquid Fence" every week or two. This has kept the deer out of my sweet potatoes, beans and corn for several years.

• chere
    15 years ago

Some deer around here take off our fence we have around some trees with their antlers so secure it well.

Chere

• highdesertrose
    15 years ago

Our deer love our tomatoes and what they don't take one bite of they knock off the bushes. This year my husband put up a 5' wire fence around and area we dug. The bed is about 4-5'square. The tomatoes were planted fairly close together and are now quite dense and LOADED. The deer ate the branches that poked out the wire, but that was OK. It is small enough to keep them from jumping in, hopefully. So far, so good. To keep out the frost, we cover the "cage" with tarps and bungee them down against the wind.--hdr

• rosemary1234
    15 years ago

Hi.........i live on the Texas coast and we are actually able to plant Orchids and such directly into the soil (sand) and they GROW ! Problem is the deer. Is there a small compact type of wire basket that could be attached to the ground to protect the leaves ??? Thanx so much

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Some place on the web I read, from several sources, that anchoring heavy fencing on the ground around the garden kept deer out. They said deer don't like the feel on their feet because they are afraid of getting their foot caught. Think about it.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County