Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gluczak

Shade tolerant, Acid loving, and Deer resistant!

gluczak
14 years ago

I've been asked this year by my parents to take over care of their yard and to "spruce it up a bit". Ive been living almost exclusively in apartments for over a decade now (and thus relegated solely to container gardening) so i jumped at the chance.

There's this one trouble spot though that id love to do something with, but dont know what. It may well be impossible to get anything to thrive there except a park bench, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

The soil is dense clay, and acidic (under several very large white pines) and partial to full shade. On top of that, the neighborhood plays host to quite possibly the most voracious deer in Maryland.

Im not too worried about the clay soil as i can always just work in some compost and pine fines, so the acidity from falling needles shade and deer are my main concerns.

There are currently two mountail laurels and several acuba there that get eaten down to nubs every year by the deer.

Id love to put in something to work as a low screen. Azelias and rhodies are doing well in a simmilar location in the yard, but as they have over 30 azelias and 10 rhodendras already the last thing i want to do is put in more.

Im thinking tall ferns in back mabey, with some astilbe in front? Ive heard deer tend not to browse these, but will they handle the high acidity? Any varities to recomend? How bout shrubs? -Thanks

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County