Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coexisting with deer

Posted by nosambos 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 07 at 17:14

I think the deer settled in my urban neighborhood because I put in a pond and made my yard "wild". I have lots of hostas which thay have not touched other than the occasional nibble. I did recognize early on that I would not get a vegetable harvest unless I took some action. I have purchased five of these...

PIC1

PIC2

They are 13' x 5.5' x 5'. Anything planted outside has been eaten except tomatoes. I got them on ebay for $100 each including postage. I've tried to make frames in the past which cost more and didn't work as well. I am most pleased with these units. ( I have no financial ties to the seller.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coexisting with deer

Sort of an eyesore on the landscape IMO, but I understand what a horrible problem deer can be.

I've been experimenting with concrete reinforcement mesh for self-supporting fencing. It's 5 feet high and you can make a 10 ft diameter hoop and you don't need posts as it stands up nicely by itself. But fencing in your entire yard/garden is the ultimate answer.

o

Good for you--you can have an extended season as well with those. We opted for Benner's deer fencing, the 5' height, around a 15' x 65' garden, costing about what you paid altogether (and we have lots of fencing left for another area). It's dandy, except that small animals can chew through and eat stuff. We lined it with chicken wire, but the creature burrows under it. Just read about dog poop--maybe will try that.

o

nosambos, are your structures greenhouses too?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here