Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
salt tolerant, hardy road side plant suggestions?

Posted by seagreen_turtle Z5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 08 at 17:42

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some suggestions for hardy, salt resistant roadside plants in full sun. They do not need to be too drought tolerant. Ideally I'm looking for a small bush or bushy plant.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: salt tolerant, hardy road side plant suggestions?

Lilacs come to mind right off the bat since I have a hedge of them in full sun and they get plenty of road salts each winter season. There are smaller varieties than the common lilac - my hedge is 108 years old and has topped out at perhaps 15 feet.

Here's a short salt tolerant list without regard to eventual sizes, etc.
Green Ash: Fraxinus americana
Shademaster Locust: Gelditsia triacanthos
Larch: Larix species
Colorado Spruce: Picea pungens
Austrian Pine: Pinus nigra
Ornamental Pears: Pyrus species
Large Toothed Aspen: Populus grandidentata
Red Oak: Quercus rubra

Junipers: Juniperus species
Honeysuckle: Lonicera species
Bridlewreath Spirea: Spiraea x Vanhouttei
Snowberry: Symphoricarpus species
Lilacs: Syringa species

o

I was also looking for salt tolerant plants, but ground covers just for a small patch that will be about 2ft by 8ft that borders the street and the driveway. It is on the East side of a Maple and would only get a short amount of sun in the morning.

Any ideas?

o

Salt that injures plants is that soaks into the soil and then absorbed not the salt the residue accumulated on the leaves and stems.

o

I live on an island only 100 yards from the Atlantic ocean. The soil is almost all sand. Yuccas do great out here. They grow fast and seem to love the salt everywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here