Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick growing wind block

Posted by stompoutbermuda Z8DesertSunsetZ11 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 6, 09 at 18:16

I am having to move some butterfly bushes this next winter and I need something else in their place that breaks the wind. I can start whatever it is now in pots and have it ready to plant when I remove the bbs. Something with fragrance would be nice. It is in an area that recieves light all day from the north as well as wind and sun from the west. The south and east get dappled sun. It is necessary that it not draw bees or wasps. The winters here are often 20F at night and 60F during the day whereas the summers are 105F. I have some wisteria in pots that "could" go there, but they havent bloomed yet and I dont know if they draw bees/wasps. Currently there is no fence, trellis, etc. there... but it is a possibility to put them in. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick growing wind block

The wisteria is more likely to attract bees than the butterfly bush. I have 4 BB in my yard and have never seen bees or wasps around them. The flowers on BB are to small for bees to get at the nectar. The "flower" you see is made up of hundreds of small flowers. I would keep the BB unless there is another compelling reason to take them out. BB can be and should be trimmed back every year.

o
RE: Quick growing wind block

After closer inspection, these are NOT bees.. they are WASPS!!! Argh!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here