Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sage_lover

I am in trouble again: shade tolerant zone 6 evergreen needed!

sage_lover
18 years ago

The tree would also do better if it was drought tolerant! Is this to much to ask? It is also needed NOW! ALSO, 8" down, the soil is construction compacted! Two hemlocks have died here, (imagine that!) Four more are also on their way out close by.

Threw my hands up & figured I would replace the hemlocks, but my one wholesale nursery has none of any quality at this time.

Is there an evergreen tree out there which would live under these conditions? Even if only for 2-3 years? I can water it some with a soaker hose. ( A fake tree at this point is NOT out of the question, as the closest it will be viewed from is 30' from a building window.)

Comments (4)

• creatrix
    18 years ago

Prunus laurocerasus- Cherrylaurel (only z6A)12-20 x12-20, evergreen, tolerates drought and shade, and has white blooms in the spring.

• sage_lover
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, creatrix, I will look for it, and into it.

• Suzinthecountry
    18 years ago

Sage Lover,

You didn't mention whether or not deer were a problem, if they are then I'm not sure my info will be of help.

I'm in Northern Dutchess County in NY, zone 5. We've had a problem with hemlock wooly adelgids killing off hemlocks. But it doesn't sound like that is your problem.

Almost all evergreens need well-drained soil, they don't like wet feet. I know in my area that there has been a drought this summer with limited rain, but evergreens still have a problem with compacted soil. i have some compacted soil. Basically this soil does not allow the water that does arrive to drain through the soil. The water tends to accumulate just below the surface and rot the roots of a plant. I've had to plant things that can deal with wet feet in my compacted soil-- black-eyed susans, liatris, red twig dogwood, solidago.

If you want to grow evergreens on top of compacted soil then your best bet is to create some type of berm or mound at least 2 feet tall of good soil to provide drainage. Yews, Ilex, Pieris and rhodos are examples of shade-tolerant evergreens. Hemlocks should also work provided that the adelgid bug hasn't reached your area.

For me personally, if I had known that I had compacted soils and the associated planting problems associated with it i would have had someone come in with a bulldozer and dredge out at least 2 feet of the compacted area and add new topsoil.

• sage_lover
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the response Suzinthecountry. The wooly adelgids are in my area. Are they easy to identify? I have not noticed bugs on the trees, but may not know what to look for. BTW: Deer are not a problem in this instance.

As my bosses boss wants, "something similar" planted here, a Hemlock is pretty much a given. I know it will ultimately decline. ( Long story, don't ask!)

A healthy hemlock seems to be a rare thing in my area these days. Any info on these adelgids would be appreciated, ie how to identify and control or kill. Thanks again!