Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rapidfire_gw

Wind Resistant Trees

Rapidfire
19 years ago

My narrow side yard is windier than I realized three years ago, when I planted the otherwise perfect pairing of Forest Pansy Redbud cercis canadensis and Frisia Honeylocust robinia pseudoacacia. Both have broken in summer winds.

I just spent hours at Twombly, with sales help, and drove two hours home with a small heptacodium (7 sons tree) and a modest Catalpa B. Aurea. Now I'm getting the bad feeling that both of these trees will be similarly brittle. "What was I thinking" and what can I do instead? Please share your thoughts.

Comments (10)

• PPennypacker
    19 years ago

Rapidfire,
    Found these:

Acer ginnala
    Acer truncatum
    Caragana arborescens
    Cephalotaxus harringtonia
    Chamaecyparis pisifera
    Comptonia peregrina
    Cornus racemosa
    Corylus colurna
    Cotoneaster divaricatus
    Cratageus viridis `Winter King'
    Diervilla sessilifolia
    Eleutherococcus sieboldianus
    Eucommia ulmoides
    Fraxinus pennsylvanica
    Ginkgo biloba
    Gymnocladus dioicus
    Juniperus chinensis
    Juniperus conferta
    Juniperus virginiana
    Ledum groenlandicum
    Microbiota decussata
    Myrica pensylvanica
    Parrotia persica
    Parthenocissus quinquifolia
    Parthenocissus tricuspidata
    Pinus banksiana
    Pinus cembra
    Pinus parviflora
    Potentilla fruticosa
    Prunus maritima
    Ptelea trifoliata
    Pyrus calleryana cultivars
    Quercus alba
    Quercus bicolor
    Rhus aromatica `Gro-Low'
    Symphoricarpos x chenaulti
    Taxodium ascendens
    Taxodium distichum
    Vaccinium corymbosum

Hope some help.
    Best,
    PP

• treeza
    18 years ago

Thanks PPennypacker for your very useful list
    Does any of these survive in a sand garden in west Portugal?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Just another thought....make sure that you purchase plants that have not been pruned by the grower to have a sort of lolly pop appearance. This is a popular method of training espoused by growers thinking that their customers want trees that are very full at the top, instead of having a good strong 'skeleton'. In other words, it is not so much the species that is important, but the method of pruning when the trees are very young.

Even the strongest of trees can be turned into a disaster, and weak trees can be made to be much more adaptable.

I've seen this done extensively on Forest Pansy, for example. The attached image illustrates how this pruning practice makes a pretty susceptible tree! They've taken a tree that is already known for weak branch structure and made it even worse.

P.S. We've been learning that our new home is also VERY windy in the back! Since we've been in the process of planting some trees, I will be doing some careful pruning in a few weeks to thin these trees out somewhat, making them less of a sail for those heavy winds.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:657002}}

• october17
    18 years ago

Funny thing to see this post just now. I just brought home from the library a book of lists for midwest gardeners. There is a list for trees to use in exposed, windy locations! Here is the list:
    Amur maple (Acer Ginnala)
    Norway maple (Acer platanoides)
    Red maple (Acer rubrum
    Sugar maple (Acer saccharum)
    Tartarian maple (Acer tataricum)
    Gray birch (Betula populifolia)
    European hornbeam (Carpinus Betulus)
    Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)
    Thornless honey locust (Gleditsia triacanthos var. inermis)
    Jack pine (pinus nigra)
    Red pine (Pinus resinosa)
    Oaks (Quercus spp.)
    Lindens (Tilia spp.)

• dirtytoes
    18 years ago

Could anyone tell me where I could purchase an Eucommia Ulmoides by mail order? I have been searching for some time. Thanks

• cattman
    14 years ago

I'm trying to find info on some truly tropical trees that are wind-resistant. Hurricanes are my big concern, but I'd also like to create a couple of shady, sheltered spots for understorey palms.

I have access to balsa trees and Guyana chestnut, know they grow in Central America and - at least in places like Belize and Honduras - would be exposed to hurricanes from time to time. But I know nothing of their wind resistance/susceptibility.

I've already found info suggesting that teak and mahogany are not wind-resistant and figured I'd try to avoid them, though the old mahoganies still standing in Coral Gables suggest otherwise.

Any info would be appreciated!

• Belgianpup
    14 years ago

Cattman: take a look at this link...

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Hurricane-resistant trees

• heeeheee
    13 years ago

I have lived in my home 12 years. I planted three nursery grown Bradford Pears, along with various other trees. This summer, on a sunny day, some shear of wind came from nowhere and broke one of the three off at the main part where it starts to spread out. The two other trees within 15 feet of this tree were not damaged, however, as soon as the leaves fall this Fall, I am going to cut the other two down and start over. These trees are GORGEOUS and the odor, although not pleasant, does not bother me for the trees are far enough away from my house to make any difference. They really put on a show this year, was their best year ever, but I wish I had never planted them. The other 12 year old trees in my yard are maturing nicely, but I will have to invite the stump grinder out to make room for what trees I replace these with.

I do have a Yoshino cherry tree that I planted at the same time. It is the most beautiful tree in my yard and fares well to windy snaps and cold snowy (what little we have here) weather. I may replace with an ornamental cherry of some sort. I will not plant another Bradford Pear tree in my lifetime.

This is a great forum, thanks!

• shastensis
    13 years ago

Dawn Redwoods are flexible and tolerate wind very well. They have a conical structure and light wood - the structure and flexibility of these trees provides much less to worry about in the way of falling branches and almost nil to worry about in the way of breaking in the first place.

Not to mention they are among some of the fastest-growing trees available. Only setback is their water demand, they are fine once established but will need irrigation in order to establish them on very dry sites. They love summer heat and humidity.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting