Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greydog_gw

lawn substitute

greydog
19 years ago

Hello,

I performed a search and didn't find anything on this forum regarding lawn substitutes. I would sure appreciate some advice on what to plant in our yard instead of grass. I live in Oregon and we get rain in the winter, but it's the baking hot summer sun that does our lawn in. I'm so sick of the brown dead looking yard (clear down to the dirt in most spots) all summer long. We are on a well and do not want to water much at all in the summer, certainly not enough to make any grass happy. Is there any substitute for lawn grass that is pretty and hopefully green which doesn't need much water and can take foot traffic? Am I dreaming the impossible dream? Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (8)

• LauraBC
    19 years ago

I hear you greydog. Being a BC transplant from the prairies I have a really hard time with the brown grass/moss all summer. Oh well, better than white stuff from Oct-April and green only for June-Sept. How big an area are you thinking of? How much sun/shade? How much foot traffic? I put in creeping thyme which is starting to take over and it was great over the summer, green with deep pink flowers. In a different area I put in blue star creeper (I'll have to search for the latin name) and its done really well around my paving stones, also tolerates more shade. I believe you would have to put up with weeding for the first year or two until it all took, especially the areas in between but I haven't had any weeding to do in the areas my groundcover is in, smothered it right out.

• Braveland4H
    19 years ago

Look on the native forum. They might also have some good suggestions. Also try Xeriscaping. There are lots of people who feel the same as you. Kentucky Bluegrass & fescue is fine if you live in areas with lots of rainfall, but other climates might do better with something else.

• greydog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Laura BC and Braveland4H. Appreciate the links.

LauraBC: The area in question is about 1600 sq. feet of flat area. There are no trees to speak of yet (tho I've planted some) but none large enough to shade. We have rocky soil and the yard is in full hot Oregon sun all day long, all summer long. We live on the top of a hill. I will try the creeping thyme in some spots. Sounds fun. I have wooly thyme and blue star creeper in other areas and they are thriving. Thank you much!

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

i would rather look at tall green prairie grass any day than brown dormant turf grass - while my neighbors mow and water - i sit back drink a beer and wonder why i didnt do this sooner.... and the prairie grass looks great in the winter too - turns golden brown and has nice winter interest -
    also check out
    www.for-wild.org for inspiration on natural landscaping...
    another favorite link of mine:http://www.for-wild.org/land/tufts_op.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: praire nursery seed mix

• shadowgarden
    19 years ago

you might try dave'sgarden.com I think they have some. I have never tried them though.

• sha_sha
    19 years ago

There are many types of thymes which would be good in the area that you're describing. My yard has a few different types of thyme.

For your needs I would look at "Elphin Thyme". It's a dense, low growing (very low) mat that loves foot traffic. It does really well here in Truckee.

Good luck,
    -S

• sha_sha
    19 years ago

Check out this site http://www.stepables.com/

• treeza
    18 years ago

Would the above plants succeed in a sandy by the sea garden?

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor