Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anamandy

Help with errosion and difficult site to mow

lovetogarden
20 years ago

Right in front of my home, off the main road, there is a very, very steep hill that I have to mow and weedwack. I try to put off mowing it until it looks so bad that I have no alternative but to risk life and limb, not to mention my back, mowing and weedwacking. As I'm not getting any younger each year it's getting harder and harder to do. Early this Spring I noticed that I'm losing alot of ground in this area, and if it keeps up at the rate it's going, I'm afraid my house will be in jeopardy. Short of putting in a retaining wall, which would cost a fortune because the area is so hugh lenghtwise, is there any thing I can plant that will save me from the dangers of mowing and hold the soil in place? I have tons of common daylilies planted at the back of my property that are in need of dividing. Would these be a good choice. If I planted daylilies I wouldn't turn the soil to remove the grass, but would just cut through the sod and plant the lilies. I'm afraid of agitating the soil further and causing more erosion. Would the foliage of the lily leaves eventually shade/crowd out the grass? I was alos wondering about groundcovers. I bought vinca, laminum, and creeping Jenny, but their all too viney, and leave to many gaps for grass to grow between. I also grow creeping phlox and Snow in Summer and grass grows too readily through them. Do you have any suggestions for an impenetratable groundcover that forms a thick mat? Someone sugested Ajuga (Bugleweed). Is this a good choice? Please help as it's only a matter of time before something terrible happens, either to me or my property.

Comments (11)

• woolywoof
    20 years ago

Have you considered staghorn sumac. It prevents erosion very effectively. It is invasive, but I merely cut back the saplings that escape from their designated area once or twice a year. I love the colour in the fall and the birds love the "flowers".

• infullbloom
    20 years ago

There are two perennials that come to mind. Thrift and Tickseed. These two thrive on slopes and are great for stopping erosion. They are hardy in your zone as well. You could interplant your daffodils among them and it wouldn't hurt a thing. Haven't visited NY in over a year, I certainly love driving through the upper state.
    Good luck and stay safe

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

unfortunately, the two best erosion controlers are crown vetch, and common hemp- the one's become a nuisance, and the latter's well, illegal to grow in this country (stupid people)

the day lillies are the standard around here for a better choice- they're commonly known as 'ditch lillies' around here, in fact.

rather than a retaining walll, a simple line of small boulders as the base of the hill should provide SOME support until the plants establish themselves...

• oogy4plants
    20 years ago

Check out buffalo grass or other native grasses. They do not need frequent mowing. If you are willing to kill off the turf grass (doesn't sound like it's holding the soil anyway) and reseed with something that doesn't require mowing, that might solve the problem. Add some flowers, too, and you may create something you can enjoy instead of a hazard that might kill you or someone else.

• jeff_al
    20 years ago

how about groundcover junipers? they are evergreen and low maintenance.
    native grasses is a very good idea, too.

• sqlguy
    20 years ago

Perhaps the problem could be solved by finding a complementary plant that could be sown to replace the grass. Perhaps you could do this with a selective herbicide that would kill the grass, but not the existing vines. Possibilities that come to my mind might include tall ornamental grasses, various wildflowers which would grow in a similar environment. Mulching heavily among the vines might help retard erosion and give seeds protection while they germinate, and increase moisture to allow better establishment of plants. Disturbing the soil much in such a locations seems like something to be avoided. Perhaps a "short" terrace system would be useful, consisting of a single row of railroad ties anchored with 4' rebar driven through holes driven through the tie into the ground. This serves to slow runoff, and help plants establish. Diverting waste water to this location from your washing machine might encourage plant growth.
    I have seen a stiff fabric "honeycomb" used by a local park to control erosion. The openings are about 8 inches in diameter, and I think they are about 6 or 8 inches deep. The fabric is laid out, and filled with topsoil. This seems to work very well, but it is probably an expensive solution.

• ScottReil_GD
    20 years ago

There is a product called biologs that can be staked like the honeycomb mats that sqlguy was talking about. They're both hemp, and return to the soil as the plants establish, and with the biologs you can slice into it with a knife and plant forbs or grasses directly into them; the fibrous nature of them both holds water and allows gas exchange equally and is organic, so about as good a rooting medium as you could ask for... Here's a source

Here is a link that might be useful: Erosion control products

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    20 years ago

Rhus aromatica 'Gro-lo' is a suberb low growing shrub for maintaining steep banks. About 2 feet high, with great fall color. I recommend it to all my clients who are talking about Crown vetch (horrors!!!).

• dunmore1769
    20 years ago

My wife and I were thinking about using Crown Vetch for the side of a hill in front of our house. The hill is the length of our house, with some of it virtually impossible to mow. What is wrong with Crown Vetch? I tried finding the 'Gro-lo" but can't find it anywhere on the web. Any suggestions? There is currently grass covering the hill. What do I need to do to change it over to ground cover?

Steve

• spel
    20 years ago

Rhus aromatica is eaten by deer, right? can anyone recommend any deer resistant ground covers for shady conditions & erosion control (i'm picky, i realize!)?

• GingerBlue
    20 years ago

I had this same bank at my old house. I tried daylilies, but they don't multiply fast enough and when you do go in and weedwhack you whack the lilies because the look like grass. Bishop's Weed (Aegopodium) was the solution for me. It actually likes to be mowed now and then and it will quickly fill in and shade out most of the weeds. This stuff is invasive, but for something like this it worked wonders.

Sponsored