Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recommendations? wet, clay, full sun

Posted by dri_bee 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 07 at 9:41

Zone 5 - Western PA

We are trying to plant at our new house - we have an area which has clay, very wet (often 1" puddles for a few days after a rain), and gets full sun. We are hoping to find some good shrubs to line by the road and driveway, evergreen preferably so that in the winter there is still something nice to look at. We are also looking for a focal point, something not too large(perhaps 8-10 feet) but very interesting to look at (ie weeping).

Ideally the shrubs would flower, or have something interesting about them as well. We live out in the woods, so we are not looking for something too manicured, wild is better.

Please - any recommendations are appreciated! Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recommendations? wet, clay, full sun

Evergreen might be difficult, but Cephalanthus occidentalis is a great native. A new cultivar is 'Sputnik'. Other natives that like wet include Clethra alnifolia and certain Cornus species. I think Viburnum acerifolium tolerates considerable wet also.

o
RE: recommendations? wet, clay, full sun

• Posted by artdeco Chicago NW burbs (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 7, 07 at 23:51

I've had alot of luck with Itea "Henrys Garnet" in a similar spot. Not evergreen, but the leaves cling to the branches for half the winter.
Also thriving in poorly draining wet clay is Vernal Witch Hazel, Pumilla Dogwood, common Viburnum Trilobum & "Red Wing", and Aronia Melanocarpa "Autumn Magic".
Cornus alba / dogwood gets severe leaf spot if too wet so had to move it.
My clay gets hard as concrete during dry periods so Clethra doesn't do well, and the Pumilla needs extra waterings.
Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here