Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aspen178

great deer spray product

aspen178
20 years ago

I think deer are beautiful creatures, and I love having them around, but I like to try and have a nice garden, too. I used "deer off" last year, and it worked well, but what a stink! This year I found "deer out" which smells like mint, and works very well. Apparently, deer hate mint. I sprayed everything(and I mean everything) liberally the first time, and now I walk around my house every few days(yes, every few days!) and give everything a quick spritz. The trick is you MUST continue to spray new growth!! It takes me about six or seven minutes to do everything, and it's worth it. Even the babies leave my plants alone after they get a taste the first time. I also learned I must spray in the winter to keep them from eating many of the evergreens. It's the easiest, quickest method I've found for deterring deer.

Comments (22)

• mmccully
    20 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I just planted pansies and ornamental kale and they were doing well. Yesterday morning I found most of them pulled out of the ground, and all flowers gone.

This morning I realized that an entire bed of impatiens were stripped of most foliage and flowers.

I will try your method. Deer were "re-introduced" into Mississippi a long time back, and now they have turned into a real problem. During a two hour drive yesterday, I saw 6 carcasses by the road.

• honey_mi
    20 years ago

Aspen - We also love seeing them but try to keep a garden. Where do you buy "deer out"? I'm using stinky Liquid Fence (which works) and recommend it but am willing to try a less smelly alternative. Thanks for the tip.

Smiles,
    Honey

• gwingdad
    20 years ago

Sounds like a product worth trying. Below is the link to the manufacturer's web site. They do sell it off their site.

The site claims the application doesn't have to be as often Aspen applies it, but it works for Aspen and that's what counts.

Here is a link that might be useful: deer out

• LAS23
    20 years ago

I have a question for those of you that use Liquid Fence. How often do you reapply it? Does it last through the rain?

Thanks

• Esopus
    20 years ago

I heard from a fellow gardener that if you distribute a healthy dose of horse manure around your flower beds the deer won't touch them. This is based on the idea that deer don't eat where they defecate and the smell of feces make the flowers next to them unpalatable. Has anyone tested this theory?

• newjerseytea
    20 years ago

There's also another herb-based product made, or sold by, a person in Chester called "Deer Stopper". I've found it works wonderfully and doesn't have to be reapplied after a heavy rain.

I have to mix up some today to apply to newly planted spruce trees that the deer are nibbling. I've also used it around the bird feeders to stop the deer from pilfering the seed on the ground. I have had to reapply that after each snowfall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Stopper

• Silvana
    20 years ago

I too can attest to how great DEER OUT works, I started using it this past summer, and I mean it really works...
    It's actually a pleasure to spray it, it has a pleasant peppermint odor.
    Here's the link to there web site
    www.deerout.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Out

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    20 years ago

I doubt if composted manures would be helpful; they'll stand in the barn and eat with the cows if allowed.

I haven't tried liquid fence, and deer can be attracted to one type of plant in one part of the country where they would never touch it in another, but I find Bobbex saves my roses where nothing else has....it does not have to be applied frequently or reapplied after a rain.

It's the half gal of concentrate that is pictured on the main page here, while I find the quart will protect 18 roses from early Spring through Fall...the only time I have deer browsing in my yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bobbex

• notime
    20 years ago

if mint spray works, would planting mint work as well?

• pompeii
    20 years ago

Has anyone tried those Repellex tablets that you put in the ground along with your new plants? They're supposed to be a systemic and protect for 3 years. You can buy a much smaller quantity from other websites than the one I've linked.

I need to get the best deer repellent I can find, since I'm planting lots of new shrubs and flowers. I'm trying to stick to deer resistant ones, but want to spray at least until they're established and can handle some browsing.

So, should I get Deer Out, Deer Off, Liquid Fence, Repellex, Deer Stopper, or Bobbex? Or one of the millions of others I found on Google? Sounds like Deer Out is the winner for being the most pleasant. Another question, somewhat OT: will it work if you spray Deer Out on a bird feeder? Will it also repel the birds? The deer emptied out my bird feeders almost every day this winter, poor little birdies!

• aspen178
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Picture unavailable; but I have that same sight out my back door each day ;) One of the threads I read that I believe is accurate is: deer are persistent critters, and may actually get used to what's supposed to be an undesirable taste sooooooooo, I would suggest keeping an eye on the gardens to make sure they don't start eating the sprayed plants. I have not had that problem yet with deer out, but YOU MUST SPRAY NEW GROWTH! And since plants grow fast during spring/summer season, expect to spray once a week in some cases.

• spel
    20 years ago

can you recommend distributors of deer out in northern new jersey?

• aspen178
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Mine came from an Agway farm/feed store. I have seen it at a nursery center(central NJ); I would say try garden centers and after that, the website: deerout.com Good luck

• kathleen_li
    20 years ago

I have the same question about the planting of mint to repel deer. Anyone tried it? This winter they ate my rhodo and destroyed the emerald green arborvitae that were just planted, like 35 of them!!!!

• aspen178
    Original Author
    19 years ago

If you want to plant mint, plant it far from other gardens. It will spread, and soon take over the area. Deer will not eat the mint, but they'll eat right next to it. Considering the invasive nature of mint, it's not worth it.

• sauna
    19 years ago

i have tried deer off and it did not work for me...the sprayer was clogged, so i took off the lid and poured, literally poured it on a shasta daisy and the next morning it was half sized...

and planting repellent plants is great...they do avoid them, but in a full bed of plants they do not eat, i have seen them go to the center of the bed to the one and only plant that was not deerproof (and not a large plant mind you) and chomp it to the ground leaving all the other plants surrounding it completely alone...

deer out sounds more promising, but time consuming...i would hate to miss some new growth and lose the plant at the height of growth...

but most are more patient than me...my solution is to plant 10-15 new varieties a year and hope to find one or two that are simply left alone...gee, i guess i am more patient than i thought

• aspen178
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I wonder if your daisy problem could be from rabbits? I have a couple of different varieties of daisies, and the deer don't touch them, and believe me if the deer were going to eat them in my garden, they'd be gone by now! There's not much they don't touch, including giving the leaves of my purple coneflower a try, which I had read deer tend to avoid. Yeh, right. I have to go now. Time to spray the plants. Again. And again.

• jddimas
    19 years ago

I have been using Liquid Fence with great success. Only plant that I have lost to THEM was a Pumpkin that was not doing well so I did not reapply the solution. The way I was applying it was twice a week for the first month and now it is once a week or so. Before the suggestion of using Liquid Fence THEY came through my yard and in the course of three days ate all of my garden. At this point I have seen two or three of THEM in the yard over the past month with numerous signs of THEM being around, ie dropping and prints.

Javier

• Silvana
    19 years ago

It's now around two years into using DEER OUT deer repellent...and all as I can say is WOW.... My deer problems are completely solved....You would not believe the amount of deer in my neighborhood... sometimes herds of 20 or more animals on the neighboring lawns, but they do not eat any of my plants....(unbelievable) I seen DEER OUT mentioned in a deer resistant plant articlein the Local NJ paper The star ledger yesterday...

Here is a link that might be useful: www.deerout.com

• StephenB
    19 years ago

I've been battling deer for the past 20 years in NJ, Long Island, and PA, and I can say that the first really effective deer repellant I've come across is LIQUID FENCE. The only other product that comes near it is Hinder. Believe me, I've tried all of them, even concentrated garlic tablets. There are a lot of "snake oil" products on the market for deer control. Most of them are completely ineffective, a few are slightly effective (if you want to spend a day each week spreading it). Here's the skinny on deer prevention (and I recommend, as I said, Liquid Fence--yes, it stinks! that's why it works!) As a member of the American Rose Society, I received several years ago some information about their deer prevention program at the test gardens in Shreveport, LA. Mix your repellant (preferably L.Fence) @ one-to-one rate with water, place in plastic container covered with lid, punch holes in the sides (before filling, obviously), and place at 10-15 foot intervals along the border of the protected area. This way, the repellant will not evaporate over time. It will be effective regardless of rain. Remember: the key to deer control is to be PERSISTENT.

• Silvana
    19 years ago

Liquid fence does work fo a while, but smells horrible and you have to spray more often than the product
    DEER OUT...also the deer seem to get immune to liquid fence....

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!