Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plants for western exposure

Posted by jackski z5 il (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 04 at 16:44

Hello,

I am looking for plants that will tolerate the harsh conditions on the southwest side of my house. About a year ago I have completely replaced the soil in my 10 by 12' patch in front of the house with top soil, compost and peat. I have good soil but everything I planted so far died in the drying sun and wind. I am in zone 5. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plants for western exposure

some of the plants that are considered aggressive elsewhere will sometimes stay nicely contained in a tough spot. For instance, I grow aegopodium (bishop's weed aka snow-in the summer,)around the base of my mature maple tree. After nine years, it still hasn't run off anywhere, and needs periodic watering to look it's best. My neighbor can't figure it out, as his is swallowing his yard, but his doesn't have the dry shade mine does. But be careful with this advice. Some plants will manage to take off, no matter where they are.
OTOH
Sedums come to mind as plants that can take hot, dry sunny spots. Autumn Joy Sedum will make nice clumps quickly, but won't spread aggressively. It does attract lots of bees, so not too close to a walkway might be best. Elijah's Blue fescue goes well with Autumn Joy Sedum, and tolerates hot dry as well.

o

I'm not familiar with zone 5 winters, but what about bearded iris, daylilies, hollyhocks, cone flowers, black-eyed susans, cottoneaster, barberry, arborvite?
Tough rugosa roses will probably do just fine. They make a nice hedge.

o

cottoneaster, barberry, arborvite...Are those conifers...I started looking into dwarf conifers or low growing evergreen shrubs. I guess I will use my time now over the winter season to research and plan my garden.

Thank you for your advise.

Marie

o

I'm not sure why you would consider this a necessarily "harsh" environment - sounds like just simple full sun location to me. Any perennials that prefer full sun should do fine in this situation - lots of ornamental grasses, salvias, rudbeckia, echinaceas, sedums, irises, roses, various herbs - the list is almost endless. If wind is a problem, consider planting a small windbreak of shrubs in the prevailing path. Otherwise, with the improvements you've made to the soil in this location, sun loving plants should thrive. Also, marginally hardy plants will benefit from a similar location that receives some reflected heat from structures - this creates a microclimate that can increase your hardiness zone a degree or two.

You do understand that regular watering will be necessary to get these plants established in a full sun situation?

o

I have planted Iris, and Oriental & Asiatic lilies there. They have been there 4 years now and are doing fine. Iris need to be thinned out a little this next fall, but I am afraid of hitting my lily bulbs.
Leslie

o

Russian sage,lavendula,Santolina,Salvia's,ect add infinitum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here