Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer 'reistant' plants for large pots?

Posted by gardenspuds CA- SF Bay area (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 17:42

I have 4 large pots on my deck that I've had semi success with growing roses despite the deer in my area. The problem is after the first flush of flowers in the spring, I get lazy and don't spray Deer Fence frequently enough, so the roses get eaten.

Can anyone think of any deer "resistant" plants that might do well in large pots? I don't exactly know the size, but they hold approx. 2 cu. feet of potting soil.

The pots get full sun in the summer, only a couple of hours of sun in the winter.

I know recommended plants may or may not be appealing to the local deer, some plants on lists have worked in my yard (such as iris and lavender), some plants have been surprises by trial, like white heliotrope, and others that are supposed to be deer resistant have not been.

Thanks.
Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer 'reistant' plants for large pots?

The only thing the local deer won't eat is iris. However, the local bunnies will eat iris.

Hardy hibiscus is supposed to be deer resistant. I wouldn't know. The ones I planted got eaten by the bunnies.

There's some stuff with very tall purple spikes growing outside of fences, locally, which means the deer aren't eating it but I don't know what it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here