Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janus47

Problem with rabbits eatting plants

janus47
19 years ago

I am having a hugh problem w/rabbits eatting my plants. I have tried dish soap, cayenne pepper, human/animal hair clippings, moth balls, liquid fence, citrus peel... Our HOA won't allow chicken wire/fencing around the plants. I either need to know which plants they won't eat or something else that will keep them from eatting my plants...jan

Comments (8)

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

I plant beets in areas that are kind of out of my sight, yet easy for the bunnies to get. Helps keep them away from my tulips. (I know, I know, rabbit welfare.) I grow viburnum trilobum, spicebush, serviceberry just for the wildlife, but it does need protection the first few years so the plants can get established. Then the plants can handle the bunny pruning.

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

cayenne pepper works for me - of course it has to be reapplied after each rainfall or if you water your garden. and often times the darn rabbits have beat me to it ... but even if i apply to the nubs the plant does get a chance to grow in some... i buy the huge generic spice container for liberal applications...

• grammahony
    19 years ago

There is a fence made, it is not chicken wire. Maybe your HOA would allow this in your area. It is made so the bottom webbing is closer together, so the rabbits can't get through, and then the top 1/2 has larger spacing. I am not sure what it is called, but it has worked for me. I anchor it to the ground with some long U shaped wires.
    Leslie

• harold_sink
    16 years ago

Okay, I'm not an expert but I have been gardening for 30 years, first in Oklahoma, and now in Texas. I have to agree that fragrant flowers keep out rabbits. It doesn't matter if they are bulbuous or not. When it comes to gardening, any variety of marigold still deters pests: squirrels, rabbits, spiders, mites, etc. Follow with and interior border of vinca and you are in great shape.

I am not a fan of English Ivy, but do have it mixed in with Virginia Creeper so I can grow daylillies, Chinese ornamental lillies, foxglove, etc. Rabbits don't like ivy shaped leafing plants. Something in the roots and leaves that deters them.

The first thing I planted in my yard when I moved into this fenceless home was Irish moss, rosemary and caladiums on the north side of the fruitless mulberry tree 30 feet from my master bedroom window. None of it has been touched by birds, squirrels or rabbits. There are at least four young squirrels, two rabbits, and all sorts of birds that visit my backyard everyday. The rabbits seem more content eating the weeds in my yard which is fine with me. I have more grass than weeds anyway.

Most sage variety of plants aren't touched either by rabbits. Today you can check the internet for all sorts of sites, but the best place to get answers is from your local horticulture department at any college or university.

My other tried and true methods of keeping critters out of gardens or just away from plants are lye, bonemeal, bloodmeal (but that tends to keep me away, too), coffee and tea grounds, ground black pepper or any hot pepper dried and ground up. Oddly enough, you can just put up a six to eight inch border of limbs and twigs around what you are growing and they won't bother hopping over unless they are really starving. Rabbits only hop high when they are being chased by predaters.

• tyhawk
    16 years ago

Deerout makes a rodent/rabit repelent that works very well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deerout

• ImaHockeyMom
    16 years ago

I've had very good luck with Liquid Fence (link below).

I buy the concentrate so it's more economical and just use my own pump sprayer.

It stinks like you would not believe when you apply it (make sure you won't need to be in the area for a while afterwards!), but when it dries you won't even notice it.

I use it every couple weeks in the early summer and the bunnies get used to looking elsewhere for food that doesn't stink so bad, then I generally only apply it once a month or in a problem area if I notice one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liquid Fence

• garden_kitten
    16 years ago

How often did you re-apply the moth balls when you tried those? I read that they are only temporary and need to be freshly reapplied often to be effective.

• caavonldy
    16 years ago

I have had good luck keeping jack rabbits, cottentails and deer out of my yard by using a home made mix of eggs and garlic. I make up a big batch, let it sit in the sun a few days to ripen and sprinkle it around the perimeter of my yard. I reapply once a month or after a heavy rain. The deer stand by our road and look at my corn, but they keep away from my garden.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus