Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer/ Honeysuckle and Trumpet Vine

Posted by robinva 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 07 at 8:23

I have a deer problem. They just consumed all of my clematis plants. I want to attract humming birds but don't care to make the same mistake twice. Has anyone had experience with honeysuckle or trumpet vines and deer? Please give me your feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer/ Honeysuckle and Trumpet Vine

I don't have a problem with deer, but there are quite a few articles on the web about it. Google deer resistant plants.
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/treeshru/resistan.htm

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publications/deer.html

o

Thank you sweetkountry. I went to both web sites. Neither of these two plants are deer resistant yet they did not make the worst list either. I used to live in the Texas Hill Country. Lots of deer but it is in a much warmer zone than here in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Will Google and see what I can come up with. Thanks again.

o

Deer have eaten my honeysuckle vines.
They won't touch the trumpet vine but it is so aggressive that I wish they would eat it all up. I would never purposefully plant the regular trumpet vine. I have heard others say that some varieties are less aggressive but I have no experience with that myself.
Good luck!

o

Sorry to hear about your clematis. If you are truly wanting to attract hummingbirds there should be plenty of plants you could try. Weigela would be one perrenial bush. Salvias are good for hummingbirds. Try the bird forum for other suggestions. I know the deer are so destructive, I am looking for ways to deter them also.

o

Here in Maryland, the deer don't eat honeysuckle, but they DO eat Weigelia. I spray them with repellant and that helps somewhat, but it's still a problem. Salvia is listed as deer resistant, so is the annual, Cleome. Hummingbirds like my Trumpet Vine, which is a huge climber with impressive yellow or orange/red flowers. The biggest problem I have with it is re-seeding. I have to be sure to snap off ALL the seed pods. Until I learned that, I had baby plants everywhere - and they're hard to dig out.

Here is a link that might be useful: You can cross check the deer resistant plants on this list for hummingbirds

o

Deer don't eat our trumpet vines, but do eat my clematis, roses, and just about everything else. I've been using a mixture of water, garlic, milk and add an egg, then I take a jug of the stuff and go out every few days and pour it over my plants. Hopefully that will keep them from eating everything. Sure smells bad enough! The only thing that is keeping them from my clematis is that I let the weeds grow up and they keep the plants sort of safe. I hope, anyway!

o

Been trying to find something for an 8ft trellis in full sun. Deer ate the roses. Ate the trumpet vine - yes - they did! Ate the clematis. I've been thinking about wisteria, but may just hang pots from the trellis, with deer resistant flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here