Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milkweeds Near Black Walnut?

Posted by jibd NJz6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 16:13

Hi all,

I was disheartened to find only one of the four milkweeds I want for next spring on the lists I have of what can grow near the black walnut. So, as of now, I only know for sure the Common Milkweed seeds I have will grow in my garden. So, my question is: has anybody successfully grown the following milkweeds near a black walnut tree?

Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa)
Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata)
Tropical Milkweed (Asclepias curassavica)

All answers are appreciated and helpful!

P.S. YES, these are all on the list for the up-and-coming butterfly/hummingbird garden to help out the monarchs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milkweeds Near Black Walnut?

• Posted by artdeco 5 - Chicago NWburbs (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 10:52

My neighbor gave me some Milkweed seeds, I assume just the common variety, which I sowed at the dripline of a BW, but nothing sprouted.
I haven't tried again, so I don't know if coincidence or juglone.
And this neighbor doesn't have any BW trees near her lot.

o

Hello,

It could be that the seeds weren't cold stratified. Most milkweed seeds (except for Tropical Milkweed)require a period from 4-8 weeks of cold temperatures in order to germinate. Right now I have my Common Milkweed seeds in my refrigerator in some moist paper towels.

o

Our acreage is full of Black Walnuts and I disagree with most of the 'list' of things that won't grow around them. Orange Butterfly Weed definitely will. My advice is to try anything and see if it survives. The only thing I had problems with was Lamium. I have since planted it in a large garden where there are no Black Walnuts, but recently mulched with wood chips.

Since the mulch comes from our area, I'm sure it is mostly BW mulch. I will wait until the spring to see if there is a die-back. Hope not -- I love all the Lamiums!

o

Update: swamp milkweed and butterfly weed are growing gangbusters, but the tropical milkweed seedlings don't seem to be doing anything; not wilting, but not growing either. Too bad. Maybe I'll put all six of them in a big pot for the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here