Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrubs Under Black Walnut Trees

Posted by tomp123 PA 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 19:42

Can I plant Serviceberry, Winterberry, and Bayberry under or near Black Walnut trees? I've seen Serviceberry and Winterberry on some lists of plants sensitive to Black Walnut toxicity, but not on others. I haven't seen Bayberry on any list.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrubs Under Black Walnut Trees

How about azaleas and rhododendron?

o

I have a variety of honeysuckle shrub (can't find a good photo of it while in bloom) but it is extremely close to a walnut. Under the canopy a few feet away but has matured well. I wish I had a photo of it in bloom. It is amazingly covered in bloom and all the neighbors comment on it being so full of bloom with it planted so close to that walnut tree, but it thrives there. Not the shrub you mentioned in your original thread...but...maybe an option?

This was actually planted the first year we learned our problem with all our plants dying on our raised flower beds. Juglone being the main issue. I told the nursery staff...give me something that will live under my tree and I will be back next year to pick your brain on my landscape materials. And it's thrived!

This post was edited by cadillactaste on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 13:44

o

Tartarian Honeysuckle is the variety I have...close up of it in bloom.

o

My Kerria does well under my butternut walnut--has really thrived.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here