Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difficult hill out front

Posted by mrfred z5/6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 28, 03 at 23:37

I just moved into a new house and am having a difficult time with one spot out front. I live in a split level home, I need to decide what to do with the "hill" that slopes from the main part of the yard down to the driveway...it's much to steep to mow + grass is would be too boring anyway. The front of my house faces north, the area is pretty much shaded all day long.

I'm looking for something that either branches laterally or spreads fairly aggressively to fill the area. I either want flowers or bright interesting foliage to brighten the area up a bit. At my old house I grew "The Fairy" rose in a fair amount of shade so I've considered that. I've also considered lily of the valley, ditchlilies, and ribbon grass, but for whatever reason none of those are doing it for me.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions at all?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difficult hill out front

I removed my mother-in-law's lawn on the hill in the front. I prepared the bed as I would any new bed and laid burlap sheeting (: biodegrates :)anchored with 'U' pins to hold the hill. I then mulched. We chose Choc Chip Ajuga (easy to remove for desired shrubs) planted by making small slits in the burlap.
This was three years ago and the hill is now covered with Ajuga in shade/ part sun.

-M

o

How about rhyzomatous hostas? Something like H. 'Lemon Lime' for bright color, or H. 'Groundmaster', or H. lancifolia. There's a lot of hostas that make excellent groundcovers.

Or, lamium (dead nettle) of which there are a variety of variegated types. They spread nicely but root shallowly and are easy to pull if they get where you don't want it, and more easily controlled than ajuga. Note I said lamium and NOT lamiastrum, which is invasive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Photo Library

o

I have a similar hill in my front yard and so do all my neighbors. One has lily of the valley which is a treat in spring but turns brown and scraggly later. Some have vinca around small shrubs and those small weeping japanse maples that have leaves that look like marjuiana. One nearby place has a weeping blue spruce or cypress or something like that and a maple, like a little miniature japanese garden.
Personally, I love the look of mixed colored and textured evergreens, several of my neighbors have spreading ground juniper. One neighbor has all roses, gorgeous, but not four season interest and definately take a bit of work. Not so for the groundcover roses though, I'd definately go for some of those. If you don't mind keeping the soil acid, there are blueberries that are ground covering, and you might get some tasty treats before the birds.

o

A groundcover in place of the lawn....vinca or a taller growing one..Japanese Spurge or "pachasandra" terminalis.
Cotoneaster.....now how do you say that word....
in any case, its being used more and more as a groundcover.

Its Co tone aster.......but I still say cotton easter.

o

tall graceful grass with day lilies. Large rocks to identify focal points.

o

• Posted by Cady 6b MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 8, 04 at 14:45

Diane,

I though it was "Ko-TONE-ee-aster"! I used to say "cotton easter," too. lol

o

It is Kuh-TOE-nee-aster.

The UCONN site has sound clips of pronunciations. Click on the ear icon.

Here is a link that might be useful: UCONN cotoneaster

o

GO HUSKIES!

I like Cady's pronounciation (at least on the web I can't hear her drop her R's...) ;)))

(heeheehee; fancy bumpin' into you here, Cady. You do get around the forums...)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here