Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fastigiate yews in deep shade close to privacy fence

Posted by tommywp 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 9:58

I had trouble choosing a forum but this seemed like a good place to start. I want to plant tall, narrow evergreens against a 6 ft PVC fence. The area is in the fence's shadow for most of the day and receives little directly light. Because of the way the area is positioned, the closer I can keep the shrubs to the fence, the better. I was thinking about giving a fastigiate yew a try. Being that the back of the shrub will be facing the fence and will never receive light, I'm thinking of planting them as close to the fence as possible, understanding that the back of the plants will not grow well (but not caring because its not visible). Is this a bad idea? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fastigiate yews in deep shade close to privacy fence

The yews will tolerate shade.. There are a few very narrow yews that may work. Taxus x media 'Flushing' is one and grows about 12'x 3'. Just give it enough space to grow wider that 3 ft. Some plants dont follow what is written about them in books and may get bigger..

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here