Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer Out

Posted by LovinRoses 7GrtsPassOR (suzypowell@marykay.com) on
Tue, Nov 1, 05 at 16:59

Just purchased Deer Out, anyone have experience. Has a strong mint fragrance. Has anyone just planted mint around in pots or in the ground to do the same thing. This product was pricey, as they all are. Any comments are appreciated. Suzy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer Out

I just saw your posting and I know it's late to respond... however I thought I would let you know my experience. I also have a huge deer problem> I have found two things that work. One is Coast of Main deer repelent. The second is home made. I bought a small vial of oil of peppermint from a health food store. I mix about five drops to a quart of water (you can tell by the smell if you have enough peppermint) and spray it on the plant. I found by alternating between the two that it worked. If I only used Coast of Main after a few days they were used to the smell and chomped away. You must reapply on new growth or after watering or a rain. No matter what you use you cannot use it repeatedly as they get used to it. Good luck and I hope that this is some help for you.

Bonnie

o

this is really late posting, but got gal. of Hinder from local garden supplier. It's concentrated capsaicin (sp?); dilute & spray on plants 3 days consecutively w/out water or rain on plants. They stay away through learned experience. However, you have to remember to "teach" them again every 2 months or so.

I have learned that they will not "trespass" through a border of certain aromatic herb plants (basil, thyme, rosemary, chives, mint,sage). At least, the deer in my yard haven't so far.

o

i've heard that the top ingredients to deter deer are capsaicin, eggs, and mint. i usually check out the bottles i buy to make sure they have 2 of the 3 listed as ingredients.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here