Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomegranate espalier for privacy in a narrow strip against fence

Posted by Oscarmatic CA z10/23 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 23:15

Hi! I'm rehabilitating a pond and its surrounding plantings. It would be nice to add a planting between the pond and the fence to screen from the neighbor's windows.

We are in inland San Diego, Sunset zone 23 -- so no thirsty plants. I prefer something fruiting or floral, rather than evergreen. It should have a root system that won't be likely to damage or invade the concrete pond. It's too much to expect, but a tidy plant would reduce the amount of skimming to do in the pond. (We can dream!) The picture below shows the available planting area. The existing tree and philodendron will move, as will the low bush and vines. The screening is really only needed on the right side, but I'm inclined to either plant something wide or plant two for balance.

What do the experienced growers here think of trying an espalier pomegranate in this space? (Be honest if I'm just crazy.)

Alternately, would a trellis extension on the fence and a fruiting or flowering vine be a better option?

Suggestions and strong opinions are very much welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomegranate espalier for privacy in a narrow strip against fe

Do you know that Poms loose all their leaves and are just branches for 3 months in SoCal? They are a huge bush and in the fall, all those leaves will go in the pond. They also have big thorns so they are not easy to trim or espalier.

Here is what I'm doing for the too short wall between my house and the neighbor on one side.

Gold Nugget and Bearss Lime on the espalier and a Thornless Mexican Lime in between. Since they are just potted, I put plastic over the pots to cut down on the flooding for this last storm. Now that 4" of rain has stopped, I'm removing it. After I finalize position and soil level, they will go in the ground.

This post was edited by GregBradley on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 20:19

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here