Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer Resistant Ground Cover

Posted by Alicia_Acconcio Molokai Hawaii (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 23:28

I’d be interested in flowering ground cover or shrubs that are deer resistant. The Island of Molokai, Hawaii has deer that can munch through mounds of wadelia, tear large branches off bougainvillea bushes, and chomp all the leaves off of the colorful crouton bushes. Nothing seems to deter them. I’ve been told that plants with fuzzy foliage might be deer resistant, but I can’t find any varieties that will grow in such a hot climate with lots of wind. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer Resistant Ground Cover

Just wondering if any of the Australian natives would be useful. They have to put up with browsers so they often have their own inbuilt 'repellents'. Agonis. Banksia. Callistemon. Melaleuca. Hakea (watch out for this one as it may be a pest species in volcanic soils.) Hovea.

If your soil isn't too lush then something like Protea or Greyia or Leucadendron (South African) could be useful.

Cordyline australis could also be useful, It's usually the 'last tree left standing in the paddock' and will definitely tolerate wind.

o

Just wondering if any of the Australian natives would be useful. They have to put up with browsers so they often have their own inbuilt 'repellents'. Agonis. Banksia. Callistemon. Melaleuca. Hakea (watch out for this one as it may be a pest species in volcanic soils.) Hovea.

If your soil isn't too lush then something like Protea or Greyia or Leucadendron (South African) could be useful.

Cordyline australis could also be useful, It's usually the 'last tree left standing in the paddock' and will definitely tolerate wind.

o

Deepest apologies for the double post. Gremlins...

o

bumping. Can't give you advice for your region, but hope others will jump in.

o

I have heard good things about melaleuca alternifolia being resilient and making a decent mulch. The tea tree as it is know, produces a natural oil that has multiple uses and native to Australia.

Here is a link that might be useful: melaleuca

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here