Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water from softener kills grass/trees

Posted by Chris_MI z5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 23, 03 at 8:43

Unlike my neighbors who have their water softener backwash dump into their septic tank, mine goes into the sump pump and dumps on the gass which has made a huge swath of dead grass. We tried using a barrel for the downshout, but with our clay soil, it simply overflows, so diverting the sump/softener water into an underground barrel won't work. It seems the quack grass is starting to grow in that barren area, and I have alot of the quack in my FLOWER BEDS to transplant, LOL. How about trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water from softener kills grass/trees

I think you better find a better place to send the water ....

o

Three options I can think of: One run a length of PVC pipe to a location you do not mind discharging the water to. Two, run a length of the 6 or so inch black corrugated pipe used for drainage, bury it about a foot under ground for a good 25ft to disperse the water. I would stay away from tree roots as the salts will accumulate and may cause damage. Three, you could build a Zen rock garden. with a pond?

Good luck

o

Do you really need the softener? Many people have been conned into buying something that didn't really need.

o

I think once you have a softener and see its benefits, like the family car...that now has automatic transmission, electric windows and doors and all the other gadgets, its hard to not have them.
Would anybody go back to using a clutch in heavy traffic?

Might you, instead of having grass at the place where the water exits, just replace it with gravel...like a pit filled with rocks and gravel where the water drains into and away.
I know there's a term for this pit....it just escapes me at this moment..but many people have them where runoff is excessive and don't wish to lay tile or piping.

o

Chris,
We also run our water softener "used" water out of the house with a sump pump. We ran a length of pipe outside, buried about 15" deep. It dumps into a buried steel trashcan that's partially filled with pea gravel to help it hold it's shape. When we first installed the sump, we didn't have the extra pipe attached. Wow, that water comes out fast! It dug a huge whole in the lawn even in winter.

To prevent lawn kill, you should use pottassium chloride instead of sodium chloride in your softener. It won't kill any plants, and it will improve the longevity of your sump. (All that salt is hard on the pump.)

o

And the plants can use the potassium (not too many using the sodium, I'd guess)...

o

DianeKaryl- I think called a french well

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plants for Difficult Places Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here