Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmgirl_gw

mid-Victorian era flower press

nmgirl
18 years ago

I'm trying to find a description and a picture of a flower press from the mid-Victorian era or pre1865. I need to make one for a reenactment I'm attending later this year.

Any ideas?

Comments (2)

• Josh
    18 years ago

Somewhere I've seen an illustration of what looked like a 12" square wooden grid (like trellis) covering a thick bunch of paper sticking out around sides. It was encircled by a strap held by a lady in long dress and some sort of hat very possibly of that era. I'd assume there was a piece of grid covering the other side, of course.

This would have been used out in the field...later the flowers were put in fresh paper probably before weighting down for further drying. Looked like it could have been homemade...definitely not the flower-bedecked little presses sold today. This was a stack of maybe 25 sheets of paper...maybe more...of a size to hold the flower, leaves, stem and even root of most small flowers on one page.

Probably this was an illustration of a hobbyist, not a professional botanist. It was a very popular pastime...pressing ferns especially and seaweeds as well as all native plants. Also, albums were made up with collections from trips to Alps or Italy or the HolyLand. Poetry was added, or the "meaning" of the flower. I've seen a drawing of inscribed tombstone and then dried Weeping Willow and flowers were added (no doubt Forget-me-nots). smile

If you need info on professional plant collectors of that time, your nearest Herbarium (possibly at a University?) could probably help you. From what I've read, they usually took some blotter paper with them but often resorted to using newspapers or whatever paper could be found to press/dry the specimens and using rocks or whatever for weight. And after drying, then labeling, protecting the stack of papers with boards on each side until they got back to civilization or home.

Hope this helps. I love reading about this subject, and love looking at the old preserved specimens now online. josh

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Josh. I think that type of press is nowadays referred to as a field press. It does appear to be the going style of that era.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert