Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sealing cattail stems

Posted by AnnieandSuzette MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 10, 11 at 9:50

Hello! My friend Suzette & I are using cattails in a shadowbox art project and would like to know what we should use to seal them. Is there a special sealant or shellac out there? Also, I'm wondering if they're dry enough. I kept the stalks in my garage, and have now cut them on both ends to fit into the shadowbox. Some seemed damp inside at first, but appear dry now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sealing cattail stems

Annie and Suzette. I just saw your post. Hope I'm not too late. Cattails, pussy willows and other woody plants must be dried using liquid glyceren and water. Mix the liquids half and half. Put enough of mixed liquid in tall container filling it half full. P.ulverize the stems(I use the smooth side of a wooden meat mallet)about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom. Leave in mixture for at least 2 weeks replacing it as needed. Dry stems and trim bottom to make arrangement. I don't know of any other method but I do know if you don't do this the tails will explode. I speak from experience when I tell you this. If you want to spray a sealer on them after just get one that is used for dried flowers from a craft store. Let me know how things turn out.
Phyllie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here