Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetrose_gw

Where do you buy blotter paper, or what to substitute?

Violetrose
21 years ago

I received a flower press for Christmas. It has a traditional wood frame and came with cardboard and blotter paper. I went to Michaels to look for more blotter paper, and they didn't seem to know what I am talking about. What do those of you who use traditional style flower presses use to absorb moisture between slats? Is there a good substitute for blotter paper?

Comments (11)

• glory
    21 years ago

Hi there -

You can sometimes get large sheets of blotting paper at your office supply/stationary stores...(also sometimes art supply places)...Good luck in finding some if you haven't already!

Lisa

• perennial_woman
    21 years ago

Newspaper is a good substitute.

• Dorie_in_Alabama
    20 years ago

You can use layers of newspapers, plus some cheap paper towels as the layers that actually touch the plants. That way, you won't get newspaper ink staining your flowers or leaves.

• nenadrew
    20 years ago

If you want to use newspaper without the messy ink, check with your local newspaper office; they probably sell their end rolls of clean newsprint for cheap (ours does, anyway.) You can cut or tear it any size you want. Handy for wrapping dishes when moving, too.

Nena

• Rosa
    20 years ago

You use the newspaper between the blotter paper for pressing flowers. The order is corregated cardboard, blotter paper, newspaper, the plant, newspaper, blotter paper, corregated cardboard, etc....The blotter paper is not meant to touch the plants but to provide a smooth surface between the layers of corregated cardboard. The cardboard probvides the airflow needed to dry the contents of the press. If your press did not come with cardboard then get some boxes and cut some to size. I do not use paper towels next to any plant pressing. They can and do leave imprints on pressings. Newspaper ink is now a soy based product and does not smear as easily as it used to and have never had ink rub off on any plant pressing. I buy additional blotter paper at the art supply store-just take a blotter with you and they can get something close that is suitable. The sheets are very large (30" x 40"?) so I cut them myself.
    You can also buy traditional blotters for plant presses at places like Forestry Suppliers or Carolina Biological supply.

• newfiepaws
    20 years ago

I've been pressing flowers for a few years, and I've used various methods.

Paper towels frequently leave "dotted" impressions on delicated petals. Corrugated carboard, even with blotting paper in between, can also leave vertical impressions.

And with all the fancy pressers out there, I think the best method is still the tried and true phone book. If you can wait a week or two, the results are worth it!

Also, blank newsprint is great between the pages of books. If you can find a local newspaper that uses an outside printer, they will probably be willing to give you the extra blanks they get everyday from the printer.

Note: Remember to weigh down everything with heavy books!

Sharon

• Rosa
    20 years ago

Never had a problem with corragated cardboard as long as the bloters are not too worn out and the proper thickness.

• romando
    20 years ago

I really recommend the phone book, too. I've had nothing but success. And it's free.

• PRO
    Filchem Inc
    8 years ago

we sell filter paper, and rayon blotting paper by roll or sheet

• Juanita Joy
    last year

I order mine from Amazon. Search for Gardeners Blotting Paper

Sponsored