Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheyjohn_z5

Job's Tears and Pussy willows

cheyjohn_z5
19 years ago

Can anyone suggest a place where I can get Job's Tear seeds to plant? I saw this last season online and thought they were so neat, and would like to grow some myself, but I am having trouble locating them.

I am also looking for a place to purchase pussy willow branches to root myself. I think it would be cheaper than buying the different trees, right? Thanks!

Chey

Comments (7)

• IndianPaintBrush
    19 years ago

Hello Cheysgarden!

I was just reading your Post, & sorry, but I have no suggestions on the "Job's Tear's' seeds for you, but perhaps I can ask around, whenever I go into Town from our Ranch here, OK?

Your interest in the "Pussy-Willow" branches is what caught my eye. For the first time in my Life, I own a really neat "Pussy-Willow" tree, & just now learned about how to dry the "pods" from the branches, from off this Web Site here! I was out looking at my Pussy-Willow Tree just the other day, and the buds are fast going to seed now, & I haven't gotten in my Flower Press yet. (darn!) But... there is a little "story" behind that Pussy Willow tree of mine....

My Mother-in-Law has one in Town, & hers grew like crazy... I was wanting a Pussy-Willow Tree soooo bad, when we put our house in out here on our Land. Well... several years after we put the House in, my husband ask me if I wanted a "start" of his Mom's Pussy-Willow Tree? Of course, I jumped at it, but was also very "skeptical" about attemping to plant it out here, because I never had very good luck with much of anything... especially "transplants" & such--- Well, that was about 5 or 6 years ago, & Cheysgarden... you should see how "huge" my Pussy-Willow tree is now!!!!!! I am so proud of it, & also very, very happy that it thrived & has done so well. I had to clip-it-back even, because it got so big!

I would gladly send you a branch or some "roots" from off of it, if you would like me to?? I see you live in the same Zone as I do there in IN; so this just might work, if I was to send you a "start" of my Pussy-Willow Tree. What do you think??? I'm not sure how well "grounded" that Tree is, but I would have to go out & take a look at it for you, to see if I could get you a good "starter" branch from it... Just let me know on this, alright??

Also.. I wanted to tell you, I went in and looked at your "Cheysgarden" Web Page, and just absolutely "loved" your Flower Garden Photo Albums!! Those were just beautiful, & my favorite was the "Garden 2004" you have Posted, with the "chair" made into a flower pot!! (this is always something I wanted to do, with an old chair & all~) I do have an old "Red-Rider" child's Wagon, ( I purchased at a Yard Sale for $1.00 ) that I have sitting out in the yard, & use as a flowerbed! I wanted to tell you, your flowers, & your flowerbeds were so gorgeous, & I enjoyed looking at your pictures, very much. Thank you for sharing!

Feel free to post to me at any time, & let me know about me sending you a "Pussy-Willow" branch off my Tree out here, alright? I'll gladly do that for you...

Hugs,
    ~ IndianPaintBrush ~

• neil_allen
    19 years ago

J.L. Hudson has seeds for Job's tears. Look under the Latin name, Coix lachryma-jovi in their online catalog. Stokes does, too -- www.stokeseeds.com -- search on coix or, using the menus, choose "annual flowers," then "ornamental grasses."

Here is a link that might be useful: J.L. Hudson

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Indianpaintbrush, I sent you an email.

Neil, thanks for the link. I am going to check it out now! :)

Chey

• Ssstark
    18 years ago

I got mine from here last year:
    http://www.seedman.com/Orngrass.htm
    D9528 JOB'S TEARS ( COIX LACHRYMAE )
    Each pack contains 15 seeds $2.95

• Josh
    18 years ago

Love the Job's Tears! Can't resist suggesting very interesting article from one of my favorite sites...josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Job's Tears

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You all have been so helpful. I can see I what I am going to be doing with my computer time the next few days! Those sites are awesome! Thank you so much!

Chey

• jim3
    15 years ago

Hello all
    Looking for a half dozen fresh pussy willow cuttings for rooting. Will pay. Please email me if you can provide them. My two trees died last year.
    Thanks so very much

jim3

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia