Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
making potpourri from sweet betsy bush

Posted by granniemable 7 middle tennessee (granniemable@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 19:03

I don't know where to post this question.I would like to make some potpourri form my sweet betsy bush. Can some one please tell a newbie how to do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: making potpourri from sweet betsy bush

I looked up "Sweet Betsy" and found out that it's also called Carolina allspice (the name I'm most familiar with)and sweet shrub, Latin Calycanthus florida. We've never grown it, so I can't help you mich with first-hand insight, but general references you find on the web to potpourri making should be helpful.

It seems you can dry the fruit, leaves, peeled bark or whole twigs. I'd try drying each element separately and see how each works.

The only other essential thing you'd need, then, is a fixitive. Orris root (it's actually the dried root of a type of iris) is the most common type available -- you'll find many sources for both powdered and chopped root on the web. Your basic procedure would be to mix the dried Sweet Betsy pieces that you like with the fixitive (chopped root, in this case), store them in a closed container for a few weeks, and you're done.

You could add other, non-fragrant stuff if you wished, such as dried strawflowers or non-fragrant dried rosebuds or gomphrena or whatever looked pretty. Then you could use powdered orris root if you wished, since the powder would work itself into the dried flower petals.

You could experiment with mixing scents, if you wished -- for example, adding regular allspice berries, stick cinnamon, whole cloves.

Good luck. you've inspired me to try growing some myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here