Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Petals

Posted by FlowergirlDeb2 5 (debbie337@msn.com) on
Mon, May 19, 03 at 0:03

Hi! I'm a new poster here, but have been on gardenweb for 2 years. I love flowers and gardening, and I am into making garden crafts, I paint (mostly terra cotta pots) and NOW I would like to attempt to make potpourri!
Anyway, I have some rose petals from the dozen roses my wonderful step-father gave me for Mothers Day, and I haven't the slightest clue how to preserve them ot let them dry out and all. Any first step advice would be appreciated! Thank you all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Petals

Deb -
1- hang your roses upside down to dry
2- do a search for potpourri
3- mix the dried petals with other dried petals and add some fragrance or essential oil
4- go to From Nature With Love for recipes and some other ingredients
5- keep a basket handy and add dried petals as you collect them
6- dry citrus peel to add to potpourri
7 - make tub teas with the petals
and on, and on and on - does any of this help? :>karenb

o
RE: Rose Petals

there are two ways to dry roses- as whole flowers (hang upside down, either in small bunches, or singly) or by spreading the petals thinly on a screen and leaving them in a dry, shady place...they're not very 'wet' petals, so they dry in a few days. marigolds and delphimiums also dry well this way.

Orris root is the 'traditional' powder added to 'hold' the fragrance oils, good herb shops/health food stores carry it. normally, one just adds essential oils to the mix, and fluffs them around.

you can also candy rose petals, and make a rose sugar syrup (Martha the Tyrant has a recipe, a good 'rennaisance' site should as well, I make mine by 'feel' cup of sugar, half cup of water, two cups of petals, simmer don't boil, strain into a jelly jar when the mix turns the color the petals used to be) that's not as good as the violet, but way easier to come by.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here