Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yukisammy

Best sealant for pressed flower greeting cards

yukisammy
19 years ago

I am very new to pressed flowers. Currently I just use the old-fashioned "between telephone books" style of pressing. I would like to use the pressed flowers on my greeting cards. What is the best sealant to use so that the flowers don't disintegrate in the mail?

I tried laminating, and found it looked too unnatural. I also tried spraying with an acrylic sealer, but the acrylic spray caused the petals of the pansies to wrinkle. Also, the smell was somewhat offensive.

Can anyone make a recommendation for sealers?

Thanks in advance...

Comments (12)

• yukisammy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the several-coats-of-light-misting technique that you describe. I guess I'm just a little too impatient. :) I thought a thorough first coat with acrylic spray would do the trick.

As to your ironing method. Sounds like a great suggestion. Are you ironing just-picked flowers, or are you ironing flowers that have been pressed, but may be still a little damp? I'd like to make a bunch of cards soon, and the flowers aren't quite ready yet (the flowers are pressed, but not quite dry), so I'm thinking of applying your ironing technique to speed the drying.

Thanks again.

• CandyWA
    19 years ago

Hi,

I iron fresh flowers. I just tried it with some larger flowers... the size and thickness of pansies... and they turned out great. The trick is to not "cook" them. I use the middle setting on my iron. Then I just press them for 2 seconds... let 'em cool... press again... let 'em cool. I do that until they're dry.

• Luvherbz
    19 years ago

Wow - ironing flowers - never thought of that! Thanx for the tip. I've been "pressing" by flowers for many years and never gave ironing them a thought!

LUVHERBZ!

• sheryl_ontario
    19 years ago

Pat, very nice site! I couldn't find anywhere to request that information.

• Wrapsody
    19 years ago

http://www.sonshinecrafts.com/free_drawing.htm

Here you go. I was just at the website. I used the "Free Drawing" link and found it.

• nanaimopatti
    19 years ago

I make pressed flower cards. First I write a personalized note in permanent ink on the front of the card. Then I arrange the flowers - when I am happy with the arrangement I use a glue stick to glue the flowers on. Take a single pce of kleenex and pull it apart so you have 2 pcs. wrinkle it up in your hand then straighten it out. Then I use modge podge to cover the front of the card and lay the wrinkled kleenex on top. Lay a pce of waxed paper on top of this and lay a phone book on top for several days until dry. If you use too much modge podge it does not look great and the card wrinkles - experiemnt until you're happy with it. Have fun.

• flcajun
    17 years ago

I do mine 2 different ways. If I want the flowers directly on card, I put Modpodge on card under petals and press flowers down on it. Then I rub the Modpodge all on top. I use my fingers, and it dries clear. I don't use too much, just enough to protect. Sometimes I put on glitter while glue is wet. Works fine for me. Another way is to cut a mat of cardstock, use glue stick to stick on flowers, and then put clear contact paper all over the piece of mat. I don't make it any larger than the plant. I also do this for bookmarks.

• uniquecreations
    16 years ago

I have been trying to get to the website and link that is mentioned above... and cant seem to get there.. I'm looking for tips etc, on drying flowers. I have tried to use the Silica Gel, but it leaves the residue from it on the flowers.. I have had some success using the microwave method with paper towels, and copy paper in between plates... which i then continue to dry them in between peices of parchment paper.. again getting some success.. depending on the flowers im trying to dry... I use the flowers in my craft business.. adding sea glass.. for an added decoration to the glass, that the flowers are pressed in between... glass beads for the hanging wire part... or an also incorporate etching butterflys etc to the glass..... just wanted any more tips for this... The flowers im having the hardest time in drying are the small micro poms etc.... they seem to be dry.. and then they get most..even after putting them in a air tight container
    I appreciate any and all input
    Thank you...

• nosrati_lida_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have been making pressed flower greeting card& bookmarkes for many years.I just laminet the bookmark and it works just fine,I want to try different way to seal my pressed flower card in the end without laminating show look natural.

• williamfross57
    11 years ago

I had been making pressed flower cards for a couple of years off and on. I love making them because each one is unique and is handmade and is not mass produced.

• Liz R
    last year

I have been making greeting cards for years! I was using Perfect Paper Adhesive but here in Hawaii, unbenounced to me, there are little tiny almost invisible to the eye, BUGS! And, they ”continue to eat the flowers once sealed with PPA!“ I have found my best bet and failure free ”Mod Podge” is the BEST sealant! I use the matte, not the glossy and I must say my cards turn out beautiful and best of all, they last a lifetime! I have done a lot of experimenting with varios glues, adhesives and I always return to Mod Podge! As far as pressing flowers, try to use those that have the same thickness. This allows for even drying. The larger flowers with big, bulky centers, i.e,. cosmos cosmos, I take the centers out, press the petals and save the seeds to grow more cosmo’s. I am also a huge fan of placing the flowers beteen 2 pieces of Bounty paper towel. This is the only paper towel I can find that doesn’t have a design with depth to it. I am also a die-hard put my flowers in a big heavy book followed by several other heavy books then and I wait 4-5 days to check on them. I think the biggest thrill for me to this day is peeking under the paper towel to see how they’ve dried! Seriously, my heart flutters with joy when I first set look at them! I get giggly just before opening the book! As an added note, I seem to always use too much Mod Podge which nearly always makes me press the finished card back into the large book and stacking several more heavy books on top of them! This pressed flower card making has saved my life!! I have been suffering from debilitating fibromyalgia for over 15 years now and this is one thing that gets my mind off of the pain I feel every day! And, if I might be so bold, I have gotten better and better as the years go by! I hope any of the information I have shared will help or inspire anyone to make flowers which are already beautiful into a life-lasting treasure by turning them into something someone you love can have as a memory for life! Aloha * Liz

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County