Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcpyburn

Gomphrena question from newbie

jcpyburn
19 years ago

Hi,

I just purchased some purple Gomphrena at a nursery over the weekend after I saw it for the first time and "fell in love". On the sign at the nursery it said that these plants like part shade to shade and were a perennial. While looking for more info on care online I saw a website that said they like full sun and are annuals. I know that these flowers are grown a lot for drying purposes so I thought that maybe you guys would be the best ones to go to for info on this. What it the correct way to grow these? I had originally bought them because I have a shade flower bed in my front yard and I wanted to put in some perennials but I don't want to kill these beautiful lil' darlin's!!!! Any help is much appreciated!!!!

Carly

Comments (7)

• neil_allen
    19 years ago

Some gomphrenas mayt be perennials, but only in frost-free climates.

They're far, far, happier in full, all-day blazing sun than in any amount of shade, at least in my area (Illinois, SW MIchigan). Here, they will barely survive in part shade, and scarecely flower at all. The west Texas sun may be a bit hotter and more intense, but your days are also shorter. The popular red "Strawberry Fields" gomphrena is actually a hybrid of a native Texas species.

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks for the info, that really helps. I do have one question however, when you say our days are shorter, do you mean from sun up to sun down? I have heard people talking about stuff like that but I thought that we had long days down here? :)

Carly

• neil_allen
    19 years ago

It's sunup to sundown.

The farther north you go, the longer the longest summer day gets and the longer the winter nights, until you get midnight sun up at the arctic circle. As you go south, the days tend to be closer to 12 hours long throughout the year.

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow! I didn't know that, that probably makes me sound pretty stupid! I knew that places like Alaska and up there had either really long nights or really long days at different times of the year but I guess I thought that everybody else had days like we do. I guess I am showing the fact that I haven't really travelled all that much!! :)
    Well, they say you learn something new every day!
    Thanks for all the info,

Carly

• Posie
    19 years ago

I've always known Gomphrena as an annual but might possibly be perennial where it never freezes. If you want nice dried flowers pick them as soon as they open to full bloom and just tie them and hang bottom side up. They don't need any special care and will keep their colors nmicely when dry. If you want you can remove the stem and insert a wire where the stem was so you can use them in arrangments or where ever when dry. Have fun!

• sowngrow (8a)
    19 years ago

I am in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and I did have Strawberry Fields gomphrena reseed and come up this year.
    I grow it in full sun.

• Kathy Hobbs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I LOVE Gomphrena, the strawberry field variety does super here and I live in West Texas and my Gomphrena thrives in full, no shade HOT HOT sun even when it's 105 for 10 days in a row. I do water it some though about every other day in that kind of heat.

What I can't figure out is how to get it to grow from seed. I am having a terrible time trying to get it to seed outdoors. I have tried putting it 1/8 in and covering it with dirt and I have tried sewing on top of the ground and it has just refused to come up. What could I be doing wrong? I wait till April to put it in and there is no freezes here in April. What in the world am I doing wrong that I can't get it to come up?

Sponsored