Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwitch_gw

Bells of Ireland

gardenwitch
20 years ago

I have finally sucessfully grown Bells Of ireland from seed and it is quite pretty in the garden but i would like to dry it. How and when do I do this ? Noticed some small white flowers starting to form within the bells. Am I to late?

Comments (3)

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

gardenwitch,

I was interested in an answer to your question because I also grow Bells of Ireland (reseeded from last year's planting). I found a site on the web that describes drying of annuals, and it includes this excerpt:
    Harvest your flowers on a sunny, dry day just before the peak of bloom because they tend to open a bit after you cut. If you're too late and cut at the peak of perfection the flowers won't last as long. Hanging is the traditional and best method of drying flowers particularly for flowers that are everlastings, meaning plants that have flowers with papery parts that retain their form and colors after being dried, like strawflowers, statice and celosia.

Immediately after harvesting, remove the foliage, bunch loosely and hang head downward in a warm, airy, shady place to dry slowly. The smaller the bunches, the better the flowers in the center will dry. An attic is ideal.

Six favorites for drying: Bells of Ireland, Ornamental Grass, Gomphrena, Statice, Strawflower and Globe Amaranth.

Also, at another site, I found this advice: Bells-of-Ireland (Molucella laevis) Harvest when the green, cup-shaped "flowers" are fully open. As they dry, the flowers gradually fade to cream or tan.

The link (below) suggests using glycerine.

Speaking of annuals, have you seen Scabiosa stellata 'Ping Pong'? It's one of my favorites, and I'll bet it would be great for drying.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preserving

• gardenwitch
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks so much for the info on Bells Of Ireland and I will keep an eye out for Scabiosa Stellata . I am not familiar with it. The site you reccomended is great.Thanks again and Happy Summer

• Judy7
    19 years ago

Bells of Ireland are one of my favorite plants. Last summer the "bells" fell off when I dried them because I think I harvested them a bit late. I merely hang them in bunches in a well ventilated semi-dark basement. One year I glycerined them but there was no difference as to the dried result. Be careful when handling because of the sharp thorns.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource