Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calvin_veneficus

Drying flowers with sillica

Calvin_Veneficus
21 years ago

Has anyone had any experience drying flowers with sillica gel? Its a fine white powder, which supposedly dries flowers. Haven't tried before, but interested. Anyone used this method before?

Comments (14)

• Jwj__
    21 years ago

I use siliaca gel all the time, it is very simple to actually use,, all you basically do is bury your flowers and allow them to sit in it to dry,, after which you can reuse the gel over and over,,

• judiz
    21 years ago

I agree with jwj--easy, fast and good results, especially with flowers that are not flat.

• norar_il
    21 years ago

Where do you get the sillica and how much does it cost? I'v been thinking about doing that and am curious. Also how long does it take and do you use an air tight container to put the flowers in?

• judiz
    21 years ago

Most crafts shops, like Michael's carry it. A large tub (enough to fill a shoe box) is about $15, but it lasts virtually forever. I use a plastic shoebox with a cover, and most flowers dry within 2 weeks.

• Jwj__
    21 years ago

As judiz says most craft stores,, however if you happen to rummage sale you can occasionally find it at them as well, I have about 6 lbs of the stuff that I have picked up over the last couple years for about a buck a container.The first one I bought was in a kit about 15 years ago, back then I paid 10 bucks for it,,with a good book on using it.
    I use mine with the shoebox containers as well as other containers like the tall speghetti containers for my upright flowers .
    I did a wedding bouquet last year which did take about a month and a half for the flowers to totally dry because of the large peonies in it.Thats one of the nice things about silica you can dry many flowers you cannot press or hang,,
    jwj

• Josh
    21 years ago

Most will have directions for using. The type I have has small bits of blue stuff mixed in which turns pinkish-colored when too much moisture is present. It can then be spread out in baking pan in 200-degree F. oven (very low heat) until particles turn blue again. Cool & reseal in plastic bag or box, airtight.

It's also important to seal the box in which you are using the silica gel to dry your blooms, so no extra moisture is picked up from outside box. Here in our GA humidity that's important.

I've had my supply perhaps 15-20 years. Has lots of little yellow/red/purple bits of flowers in it which don't hurt anything...still reusable with no problem. jo

• seedsower
    21 years ago

Hi...I've been thinking of doing this too! Has anyone ever tried drying clematis flowers this way, and if so, does it work well? Also, does anyone have a photo or (few) they could email me to show me what flowers look like after being dried in the silica?

Thanks!

Sandy

• jen_ky
    21 years ago

I did purple clematis flowers, they came out pretty, but lost some of the color, kinda like they are old looking, but I think they are pretty that way, another one I did I liked is lilac flowers, they look like that are still fresh. I have been testing every flower I can find this year, lilies didn't do too good, they fell apart as soon as I tried to pick them up.

• josie_il_z5
    21 years ago

I use silica gel for certain flowers I can't dry upside down or in vases. The only problem I have is mine usually seem very fragile after being dried this way. They usually will retain their color quite well, though. I dry the flowers in tins with tight covers and reheat gel pretty often between uses as it will pick up moisture from the air or flowers.

• Garden_Ho
    21 years ago

For flowers that loose their color after drying, grate colored chalk into a powder and dust onto flowers before you cover them with the silica jel, really helps alot!

• Rhondan
    21 years ago

Found a tub of the chrystals at Walmart for $6.97 or so. You get a fair amount. Have fun with it !

• Protea
    20 years ago

What form does this silica gel come in. A gel or a white powder form?

• joyce69
    20 years ago

I remember reading something about Silica and it is hazardous to breathe it in and a dust mask over the nose and mouth was advisable. I have never worked with in but want to, has anyone found it to be a problem when you worked with it. I think it would be wonderful for flowers that have a nice shape like orchids and other peonies. Has anyone had luck with orchids, any hints.

Cheers, Joyce

• FireFightersMoM
    19 years ago

I got mine off EBay....The cool thing with it is...fast drying in a microwave