o
drying monarda?

Posted by katykelly 6 co (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 03 at 11:43

When do you cut this and how do you dry it? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drying monarda?

There are a couple different ways you can go.

You can cut the flowers when you've got a nice bloom -- this is usually at the beginning, rather than the end of each flower's blooming period, when they've got, say, one ring of flowerets -- and hang them upside down to air-dry. The flowerets will then form a kind of "crown" around the top of the flower. But expect the flowerets to shrink a lot in the process.

You can also wait until the flowers are past, and dry what is now the seed head.

Some people dry the flowers upright. I haven't had good results with this method myself, but you can never tell.

I've noticed a lot of difference between different monardas. Of my regular garden types, the scarlets do much better than the violets.

Some of my best luck has been with what I think is some form of M. fistulosa, although as I remember the seed was billed as M. bradburiana. It's a low-growing type, just a little bit over a foot tall, and it blooms early. But some of the plants have very deep purple/burgundy foliage and seed heads (all have pale lavender flowers). The foliage air-dries very nicely and the plants are very effective in bouquets with or without the flowerets.

o

Wow! Thanks, I had just about given up on an answer. LOL!

o

They press (flat) beautifully!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here