Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joysong

which flowers cannot dry well being pressed

Joysong
21 years ago

Have some pinks that I'd like to try, but would like to know which ones not to press from experiences...

Comments (7)

• terrynshelley
    21 years ago

Hi Joysong
    Pinks are just wonderful aren't they? I have pressed them before and I have found that the smaller the heads the better if you are trying to press them traditionally. However my wonderful husband gave me a cheating tool and I use this now. It is a microwavable press and it means thatI'm able to press the very feshy flowers without fear of molding and they retain their color! But ths really is a cheat's way and I only use it for flowers that I find too difficult for pressing the 'normal way' But basically the fleshier the flower, the longer it takes and the more likely it is to go bad.

Good luck and enjoy your pinks!

Warmest Wishes

Shelley

• livvyandbella
    21 years ago

I have just started pressing flowers for the first time. I would like to put some between glass. Has anyone done that, and is their a place you can by the glass cut?

• annemarie
    21 years ago

A stained glass shop will have many kinds of beautiful glass and some will cut glass for you. If you just want clear glass you can pick it up at any place that sells window glass...just look in your phone book if you don't know of one off hand.

I cut my own, it's a lot easier than you'd think. Buy a good quality glass cutter.

• eyesofblue
    21 years ago

annemarie, how do you smooth the cut edges of the glass when you cut it? What do you use?

• homenovice
    21 years ago

Eyesofblue,
    Several years ago, I had some pressed flowers sandwiched between glass. The fellow that did it for me used sort of a silver foil-like tape to wrap around the edges. I'm sorry I don't know the exact name of it.

• Sonshinepat
    21 years ago

email me for a list of flowers that do/do not press well.
    sonshine@hvc.rr.com

• romando
    21 years ago

I tried a project for the first time and liked it so much I gave it as a Christmas gift. I'm totally a novice, so I'm sure someone may find fault with my methods, but it worked beautifully: I had some dried, pressed pansies I'd grown on hand already and wanted a use for them. I do a great deal of cross stitch also, and use standard photo frames to display. However, because I mount my needlework on a mat, I remove the existing glass from the frame. So I had all these standard photo frame size panes of glass all stacked up in the closet with no purpose. I 'floated' the pansies between the panes with a small dabs of glue, then sealed the edges of the glass with aluminum metal tape. This comes in 2" wide rolls, around $3-4 at most hardware stores. It has a sticker type backing which you peel off when ready, making it easy to cut the width you need first. I cut mine to about 1/2", which was perfect for a slight overlap on both sides, creating a "frame". I tell you what, I would have bought it in a store if I'd seen one, and no one would guess that this project was made for just pennies, considering the glass was no additional cost. I also do a lot of jewelry and beading, so I used some of my supplies to make a 'chain' from which to hang it on either a wall or window (though probably not a window, as the flowers would fade). The metal tape goes on quite smooth and has a chrome like finish.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations