Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drying Ferns

Posted by Applegate Atlanta, GA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 04 at 15:38

Do the various drying methods used for flowers also apply to ferns? (I want to dry them, press them against handmade paper and then frame.)

Thanks to all for any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drying Ferns

• Posted by Josh z8 GA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 24, 04 at 14:58

Ferns dry easily layered singly in between several sheets of newspaper, then stack books on top. Be sure they are completely dry before framing...perhaps two weeks will be a safe period. Ferns hold their color fairly well if displayed in low light, but even if they fade eventually to a paler color, still look nice. I like to play around with the various stages of growth It's interesting to dry the croziers before they unfurl... and the Autumn Fern's rosy new growth is magical. Have fun! josh

o

Applegate
I am interested in ferns also. Last year I made 4 pictures with ferns, kept them out of light but they turned yellow. Somewhere I read to use the acid free paper, inlude a small amount of silica granuales (like the ones that come in some prescriptions)behind the picture & glass and seal the back with alumunim (sp?) tape. So far so good. Will let you know what happens. Audrey

o

mine all turned a horrible brown color, including those i used glycerin as a preservative with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here